Captain Howdy

Songs We Should Retire

62 posts in this topic

I listened to this episode of All Songs Considered today, "Hallelujah! The Songs We Should Retire" https://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2018/08/14/556692186/hallelujah-the-songs-we-should-retire They didn't mention any jazz tunes, probably because jazz doesn't get played enough to get overplayed. I kind of think Miles' "So What" is a should be put out to pasture because I've heard it used as theme music in a lot of radio shows and podcasts etc. Maybe people use it because they want to use a piece of jazz to show how sophisticated they are but don't actually listen to jazz so they aren't familiar with anything other than the best selling jazz album of all time.

I wouldn't mind if I never heard Satch's "What a Wonderful World" again, either.

Anyone else have any nominees for retirement?

Any and all versions of "Blue Monk"!

I don't care whether they do or don't retire the songs people have listed. The only one that has ever impinged on my mind is 'What a wonderful world' which I have by Wild Bill Davis on a rotten album of him recording over backing tracks laid down for Little Jimmy Scott, which he never used. I've only played it a couple of times, so I really don't care if it exists or not.

'Blue Monk' is, I think, wonderfully funky and I've lots of versions of it, which I like a lot. I saw a little bit of film of a moderately young Thelonious playing it and he was screwing around on his piano stool, dancing on his arse, and thought it was wonderful.

My candidates would be:

'Sweet mother' (a song by Prince Nico Mbarga - there are quite a few versions of this in West Africa)

'Little waltz' the Ron Carter tune.

'Lift every voice' - let's have 'After hours' back as the black national anthem.

MG

"Wave" ... and a few other bossa-nova standards too.

Even 'The girl from Ipanema'?

Every time I hear the song - which I like - I think of a BBC programme about Brazil in which the anchor man actually interviewed her - she was in her fifties then but still a VERY nice looking lady. The impact of her in her teenage years walking along the sands - as she did every day, they said, would have guaranteed a lovely song.

MG

All of Jobim's tunes have beautiful melodies - but most jazz musicians play them too sloppily, with too little attention to their rhythmic intricacies, and in the wrong tempo. They are Brazilian music, not jazz, IMHO, and should be approached from that angle, then tthey work. 

Blue Monk is great when played real slow, like Abbey Lincoln did. 

It's not the tune, it's the way you play it.

Edited by mikeweil

Little Waltz and Wave are both tunes I like and would not want them to be retired

i agree that So What deserves retirement.

Some others that come quickly to mind for retirement are - My Favorite Things, Caravan, and Send In The Clowns.

The best way to retire a song is to just stop listening to it. Let evolution do its thing.

When Dave Liebman was with Elvin in the early '70s, his nightly ballad feature was "I'm a Fool to Want You." After a couple of months playing it, Liebman went to Elvin and said that he wanted to play something else, because he felt as if he was stuck for for fresh ideas. Elvin looked at him and said: "So, you're stuck, but it's the SONG'S fault?"

Edited by Mark Stryker

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

It's not the tune, it's the way you pay it.

Mike, I'm assuming that's a typo, and you mean "it's the way you play it."  Or,  Tain't What You Do (It's The Way That You Do It)

8 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

"Wave" ... and a few other bossa-nova standards too.

I'll happily take any of your unwanted bossa records off your hands. ;)

10 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I'll happily take any of your unwanted bossa records off your hands. ;)

I like the boss nova records I have. I just don't like the way "Wave" and some others are handled by non-Brazilian performers by and large. The English lhyrics, if the songs are sung, don't help.

8 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I like the boss nova records I have. I just don't like the way "Wave" and some others are handled by non-Brazilian performers by and large. The English lhyrics, if the songs are sung, don't help.

Oh, the English lyrics are for the most part terrible.  

Some jazz tunes are overplayed--and I do mean jazz tunes, not works from the American Songbook or songs penned by Jobim--are overplayed: "Round Midnight," "So what," "Take the A Train."  Still, I would not retire any of them.

I don´t really like too slow versions of "Blue Monk". Monk himself played it in a moderate mid tempo and I like it with it´s Monkish chords how he plays those tunes, like the slower Misterioso. But the way how most dudes play "Blue Monk"   here in Viena on jam sessions gets on my nerves, it sounds.... it sounds... somehow like the music they sing and play at them Viennese wine taverns (Heurige), if you can follow.... Too sentimental, the way people feel and act after drinkin a bit too much wine and all become brothers and sisters and shit...

That´s the feeling I get if some  start to play Blue Monk in that mourning manner. So I still can listen to it if it´s played like Monk played it (one exception is the 1971 Giants of Jazz version, were they made a silly shuffle out of it, but that was not Monk´s fault, he was there but was busy not to be too envolved in it......) . Don´t missunderstand me, I really like some really slow blues, but not the way they make a slow blues out of the tricky "Blue Monk".......

6 hours ago, Mark Stryker said:

When Dave Liebman was with Elvin in the early '70s, his nightly ballad feature was "I'm a Fool to Want You." After a couple of months playing it, Liebman went to Elvin said that he wanted to play something else, because he was felt as if he was stuck for for fresh ideas. Elvin looked at him and said: "So, you're stuck, but it's the SONG'S fault?"

Yeah!

This thread should really be called, 'Songs we're cheesed off with'.

MG

8 hours ago, Ted O'Reilly said:

Mike, I'm assuming that's a typo, and you mean "it's the way you play it."  Or,  Tain't What You Do (It's The Way That You Do It)

Yes, of course - thanks for alerting me to this typo. I corrected my post.

Maybe it's time to retire Alexander's Ragtime Band?   ;)

“All the things you are.” This tune is covered by every jazz musician to the point where I’m sick of hearing it. 

2 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

“All the things you are.” This tune is covered by every jazz musician to the point where I’m sick of hearing it. 

Wonderful changes - definitely a keeper! If the theme bugs you, just listen to the improvised choruses.

Instead, you can dump "Funny Valentine", "Flamingo" and "Caravan" ^_^

Depends on what sort of music you listen to. Not too many hardboppers playing "The Saints" - or "Avalon" for that matter.

13 minutes ago, BillF said:

Depends on what sort of music you listen to. Not too many hardboppers playing "The Saints" - or "Avalon" for that matter.

Teddy Edwards played 'Avalon'.

MG

Nothing wrong with that!