Captain Howdy

Songs We Should Retire

62 posts in this topic

This is kind of an interesting topic, and try as I might, I can't think of a song I'm that tired of hearing. I'm sure the artists we talk about on here find themselves having to perform songs they're tired of. Sinatra hated singing "My Way" and *really* hated "Strangers in the Night," but Tony Bennett never gets tired of singing "I Left My Heart" (asked whether he gets tired of singing it, he answered, 'Do you ever get tired of making love?'). Maybe a corollary for this thread would be to talk about songs artists have played/sung so often *they* want to ban them!!

8 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

This is kind of an interesting topic, and try as I might, I can't think of a song I'm that tired of hearing. I'm sure the artists we talk about on here find themselves having to perform songs they're tired of. Sinatra hated singing "My Way" and *really* hated "Strangers in the Night," but Tony Bennett never gets tired of singing "I Left My Heart" (asked whether he gets tired of singing it, he answered, 'Do you ever get tired of making love?'). Maybe a corollary for this thread would be to talk about songs artists have played/sung so often *they* want to ban them!!

How would we know?

Nat Adderley played 'Work song' all the time. He said it was his favourite tune - because it was used for a TV advert in Japan and earned him loads of money.

That's what I like to see; an artist with his priorities right.

MG

18 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

How would we know?

Nat Adderley played 'Work song' all the time. He said it was his favourite tune - because it was used for a TV advert in Japan and earned him loads of money.

That's what I like to see; an artist with his priorities right.

MG

Well, that's how we'd know--because the artists talk about it!

gregmo

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Teddy Edwards played 'Avalon'.

MG

I expect you'll be posting me a Cecil Taylor version of "The Saints" next.

That, or Brad Mehldau Plays W C Handy.

Edited by BillF

I can send you an early RCA Victor album 'Erskine Hawkins plays W C Handy for dancing' if you like :D

MG

42 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I can send you an early RCA Victor album 'Erskine Hawkins plays W C Handy for dancing' if you like :D

MG

Peter Erskine I would accept.

7 minutes ago, BillF said:

Peter Erskine I would accept.

Sorry, don't know who he is.

MG

I wouldn’t retire anything; if musicians like playing it and people like hearing it, it doesn’t need retirement. 

There are songs we’re tired of hearing or “cheesed off at,” but as Jim said, don’t listen to them. Take 5 has to be one of those but I heard it the other day after not hearing for five years or so and got a kick out of it. 

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Take 5 has to be one of those but I heard it the other day after not hearing for five years or so and got a kick out of it. 

This version got radio play here at the time, and you talk about getting a kick out of it...

When the fans ask for it, or even just expect you to play it, you play it.  But it doesn't have to be the same all the time.  Go on YouTube and see how many George Shearing live performances of Lullaby Of Birdland there are.  Then spend half an hour or so and marvel at how different each is from another.  Different sidemen, different audiences, different clubs and halls, and Shearing's own creativity produce fresh versions.

There's nothing more potent for an artist to have had a HIT...  It'll add years to a career.  I recall Moe Koffman responding to requests for his composition Swinging Shepherd Blues by saying "Here's a medley of my hit..."

6 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Sorry, don't know who he is.

MG

Drummer - good one, too.

I'd like to retire lots of classical music, especially since our Chicago classical radio station is a sort of Top 40 station.  Sometimes I scream uncontrollably when I hear a Beethoven false ending.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:22 AM, BillF said:

Wonderful changes - definitely a keeper! If the theme bugs you, just listen to the improvised choruses.

Instead, you can dump "Funny Valentine", "Flamingo" and "Caravan" ^_^

My issue with the tune is this, everyone plays the Bird introduction that has become the staple when playing that tune.  

... create your own intro to the tune.  

Edited by Hardbopjazz

20 hours ago, johnblitweiler said:

I'd like to retire lots of classical music, especially since our Chicago classical radio station is a sort of Top 40 station. 

God, you have that in Chicago too?

Do you know of a show/podcast called "Relevant Tones", hosted by one Seth Boustead? It's out of WFMT. Is that the same station?

Boustead can be a bit annoying (to me, but then again, that's a pretty low bar these days), but it's a good shot of "right now" "classical music". Very seldom do I not hear at least something of interest, and quite often a whole lot.

https://www.wfmt.com/programs/relevant-tones/

If you've been a musician your whole life, you develop allergies to certain songs that cause symptoms like playing totally inappropriate quotes as fills in totally inappropriate spots, and usually a tritone away from whatever key you're playing said song in.

"New York, NY" usually evokes such symptoms in my case.

On August 25, 2018 at 4:22 AM, BillF said:

Instead, you can dump "Funny Valentine", "Flamingo" and "Caravan" ^_^

Sorry, but if you play in an exotica combo, "Flamingo" and "Caravan" stay, along with "Poinciana," "Bali Hai," "Quiet Village," "Black Orchid," and a dozen or so others.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

45 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Sorry, but if you play in an exotica combo, "Flamingo" and "Caravan" stay, along with "Poinciana," "Bali Hai," "Quiet Village," "Black Orchid," and a dozen or so others.  

But for those of us who happen not to play in exotica combos ... ^_^

Let's take a break from the conversation and enjoy Stanley Black's version of "Flamingo," from his Phase 4 exotica masterpiece Exotic Percussion.  LOVE LOVE LOVE the wordless female vocals!  

14 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Let's take a break from the conversation and enjoy Stanley Black's version of "Flamingo," from his Phase 4 exotica masterpiece Exotic Percussion.  LOVE LOVE LOVE the wordless female vocals!  

Stanley Black! Now there's a name from my youth! 

12 minutes ago, BillF said:

Stanley Black! Now there's a name from my youth! 

Did you check out the pretty ladies doing the wordless vocals?!?

17 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Did you check out the pretty ladies doing the wordless vocals?!?

Just a name, unfortunately, so I missed those ladies ...

23 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Wild idea to have those wordless ladies perform that ostinato throughout the A section. He does a beautiful thing with the vocalists in the last two bars of the bridge! Singers Unlimited time (Gene Puerling)!

I played on a big band up-tempo recording of Flamingo where the arr, starts on an Eb13+11 on the first bar of the tune(in F). Makes it more fun to play.

1 hour ago, sgcim said:

Wild idea to have those wordless ladies perform that ostinato throughout the A section. He does a beautiful thing with the vocalists in the last two bars of the bridge! Singers Unlimited time (Gene Puerling)!

I played on a big band up-tempo recording of Flamingo where the arr, starts on an Eb13+11 on the first bar of the tune(in F). Makes it more fun to play.

Great version of that tune.  I live for records like that.

When I do "Flamingo," I play an F# major 7 on the first two beats.  

3 hours ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Great version of that tune.  I live for records like that.

When I do "Flamingo," I play an F# major 7 on the first two beats.  

That's good, just make it an F#Maj9+11 and resolve it to F on the third beat.

9 hours ago, sgcim said:

That's good, just make it an F#Maj9+11 and resolve it to F on the third beat.

Yes, that's exactly what I play.