Hurricane Lane

A co-worker in the cubicle right next to me who has a daughter+significant other who just flew into Hawaii last night. They were doing a beachfront Air BnB thing and have been told they'll be evacuated to "Uptown Maui" (whatever that is?) as soon as supplies have been loaded in. Airlines are waiving their rescheduling fees to get everybody out, but apparently that process was saturated as soon as it opened. They woke up at 5 AM today, and that was when they heard the news for the first time in two days. Wow....

I don't know the science, but it seems that a hurricane like this doesn't really have all that much to stop it or slow it down before it gets to land. Not unlike an Atlantic storm hitting places in the Caribbean before heading up the coast or into the gulf, unimpeded access.

On the "bright" side, that's a really stupid name for a hurricane, imo.

If the forecast track is accurate they could easily avoid landfall. Not sure how far out the hurricane force winds extend but it looks to me like the winds that reach the islands could stay category 1 or 2.  Too early to know for sure so its not hard for me to imagine the level of panic going on. Seen it too many times here in FLA.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

If the forecast track is accurate they could easily avoid landfall. Not sure how far out the hurricane force winds extend but it looks to me like the winds that reach the islands could stay category 1 or 2.  Too early to know for sure so its not hard for me to imagine the level of panic going on. Seen it too many times here in FLA.

Have you had the misfortune of going through a “big one” yet? Hopefully not. You weren’t in Miami for Andrew, were you? That was a monster. Luckily, we only got sideswiped by the northern edge of it where we were. 

I haven’t gone through one like the ones they have in Florida but I did live through Sandy. No power for two weeks, which wasn’t a lot of fun I can tell you.  Fortunately, not too much damage to our house. 

Edited by Brad

My two biggest were Hurricane David in 1979, and Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Both Cat 5’s, and luckily neither were direct hits where we lived at the time. 

And yes, no power for two weeks would suck major ass. Hell, no power for two days would be awful, especially deep in the heart of either summer or winter.