Verve new releases

mjzee

Nice to see this will include the MGM sides, too .... were these associated with Granz? Some were reissued on Verve Gaillard LPs.

That said, I count 20 MGM Gaillard tracks in the Lord disco - four of them unissued. that makes the 16 to be included in this new issue. I wonder about the discographical details.

Edited by mikeweil

1 hour ago, Dave James said:

I swear his fingers have to be six inches long.  

Yes you might almost think so ... :D

33640521pi.jpg

September 1988 (Méridien, Paris)

As for that new Verve release, not so sure if I'll bite (though I am a Gaillard fan). Beyond the alternates, ther are only about 4 tracks or so that have not been on the vinyl reissues on (French) Verve and on Official from the late 80s.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

4 hours ago, JSngry said:

Is that his real name? Is he perchance married to somebody named Luci?

Just wondering.

From his FaceBook profile: Louis Armstrong Historian, Author and Archivist; dedicated family man; piano abuser; donut enthusiast
  • Director of Research Collections at Louis Armstrong House Museum

And producer (with others) of several reissues, including the last Armstrong Mosaic. 
  •  

If there ever was one real jazz entertainer, it was Slim Gaillard.

But Isla Eckinger has a hard time remembering that music is fun, too. I would have had a ball playing that gig, and for me, music is a deadly serious thing, too.

Edited by mikeweil

His first name is either Rick or Richard, I haven't determined which for certain, and he goes by Ricky which makes sense to me. Not Ricci. (This makes sense to me. I worked with a man whose last name was Kuykendall, which was pronounced "Kirkendall" and he went by "Kirk" even though his first name was different just so that his last name got pronounced right).

Edited by jazzbo

9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

and is that HIS real name?

I mean, it's all show biz, and a catchy name never hurt anybody.

I believe that is the real name of the sports broadcaster except that his first name is Rickie, not Ricky. He’s also the Spanish broadcaster for the Philadelphia Eagles.