Verve new releases

mjzee

• 2 weeks later...

Back to topic: The new double CD includes some alternates, but five tracks recorded for MGM and one for Clef remain unissued (are they lost?), and I'm not sure about a few others that obviously were issued on a Clef EP in different takes. Still waiting for my copy to find out whether the liner notes say anything about these.

So, except for the alternates, nothing I do not already have on LP, but it's nice to have them on CD.

Edited by mikeweil

15 hours ago, The Red Menace said:

Gaillard fans might want to check this Zev Feldman project as well:

The Lost Singles Of McVouty 1958-74

... also discussed in a previous Organissimo thread:

Searching For You: The Lost Singles of McVouty

I have virtually everything by him up to and including his Dot album (so basically I would consider myself a fan) but honestly, I am rather on the fence about this one (and am still unsure about the new Verve reissue too, considering the huge overlaps with previous reissues). Listened to the sound samples of the "Lost Singles" and on first impression I must say I do not find those rerecordings or aural updates all that essential. One for ultra-competists acc. to my 2c.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

Got the new double CD today - as expected it does not drop a syllable about the half dozen tracks recorded for MGM and Clef that are marked unissued in the label discographies. Nor does it mention the two takes that, according to Lord, were different on an EP issue (not unusual with Granz). But the alternates on the second disc appear by "courtesy of the Gaillard family", whatever that means - did they just give their approval or did they provide the source material? There is somebody credited for tape research, so they should have known and made a remark. Oh well. Verve is not Mosaic. No master numbers, personnel listings are absent, only part of the players are mentioned in the notes in passing. There were times when Verve handled this in a more professional manner.

But some of the tracks on these discs are simply hilarious! :lol:

Edited by mikeweil

Re-read an article about label vaults a few days ago, and so was reminded of the fire in the MGM vaults. Most of the older MGM sources were destroyed, it says, but most of the master tapes were saved, so the unissued MGM tracks of Slim Gaillard and others are probably lost forever. 

Edited by mikeweil