Cecil Taylor In Berlin 1988 FMP box

I will sell this box for $450 + packing, shipping & insurance. Let's say $475.

CDs, book & box all in excellent condition.

Cashier's check or personal check - deposit to clear before I ship. Will use FedEx or UPS with tracking number provided.

USA only, no credit cards, no PayPal.

PM me if you want it & I'll provide my address to mail payment.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

I ran it through an inflation calculator, and jlhoots' asking price is only slightly more than I paid for it in 1989 when adjusted for inflation - and I don't remember what I paid for shipping, but that probably evens it out.

It's certainly a fair price, but adjusting backwards for inflation, I couldn't afford it then, either.

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

It's certainly a fair price, but adjusting backwards for inflation, I couldn't afford it then, either.

I couldn't either, but I bought it anyway. That was a long time ago, and I don't really remember how I managed to pay for it. I probably had a string of high-money gigs that made it possible. So most likely "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "Margaritaville" paid for Cecil Taylor.

Edited by jeffcrom

46 minutes ago, jeffcrom said:

I couldn't either, but I bought it anyway. That was a long time ago, and I don't really remember how I managed to pay for it. I probably had a string of high-money gigs that made it possible. So most likely "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "Margaritaville" paid for Cecil Taylor.

Sorta like Norah Jones paying for all of those Tina Brooks BN Conn reissues.

Reality check.  Regardless of being "worth it" in terms of fair market price or not (not what is at question here, we all assume it is), this is $450, not spare change.  That's an economic show-stopper for all but very well-to-do Cecil Taylor utter diehards who don't already own it, which will make for a VERY limited audience.  Should not be that surprising and not a grounds for criticism from anyone that no one has stepped forward to buy it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is indeed a magnificent set - I bought my copy in 1995, new from the Jazz Record Center in NYC - purchase & shared info was by snailmail & "old style" credit card (letters, typed by Fred Cohen - communication over a period of 3 months - those were the days - he mentioned that he had the CT set so I pounced - still that was a shitload of money for me then). The set was $US250 & shipping to Australia was a mere $23.45 (still had surface option available then) - plus this set is a heavy sucker.

BTW I visited the Jazz Record Center while I was in NYC last year - Fred wasn't there but I met his wife who was managing the shop (she was the only person there). Bought a few T's (Hawkins, Young, Coltrane - had sold out of my size in Monk & of course no Cecil Taylor).