BFT 174--access and discussion

Milestones

Welcome to Blindfold Test #174; there are 13 tracks.  Here is the link:

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/

It was a fun thing to do, and I can see myself creating another in the future.  I am looking forward to seeing how people do at identifying pieces and artists.

In looking at previous BFTs, I think mine is easier. But maybe most people who put these things together think they’re not super-difficult.  More than anything, it’s a way to share some music.

To be sure, I don’t include any of the true giants—no Bird or Monk or Trane or Duke.  But I definitely represent some artists who are, to my taste, absolute favorites.

The concentration is relatively modern, in the sense of when the albums were released.  Most of the material dates from 1995 up to the present day. 

I wish you well.

Edited by Milestones

Quick scanning of the tracks, one know and some guesses:

#2 - no idea who, but I very much like the use of Chinese cymbal to simulate a half-speed analog-ly recorded ride cymbal. And if that really is a sample, even better!

#4 - Charles Davis? No, not the same intonation. But a very similar tone...Pat Patrick?

Ray Anderson on 6?

No idea on 8, sounds like a tribute to a Lacy/Waldron Monk tribute, but...too much sunshine in it to be that.

Lovano on 9?

Charlie Haden on 10?

Michael Brecker on 11 https://www.allmusic.com/album/time-is-of-the-essence-mw0000671377

Anthony Davis/Jay Hoggard on 12?

Jim, I assume you meant James Newton rather than Anthony Davis on #12, and I agree that's who it sounds like to me also!  Nice BFT, look forward to doing some more exploring on it.  I'm thinking Cecil Payne on #4.  #5 sounds like Hubert Laws.

Edited by felser

Here's my take on this one.  I did get a bit of an advance listen, but responses are from the first listen.

Track 01 - This reminds me a lot of one of the cuts from my BFT.  Soprano player strikes me as maybe more of a regional player, but I think that adds to the draw of this cut, because it's not "perfect".  This is not in my usual ballpark, but hear a lot to like here.  

Track 02 - Yeah, I'm all in on this one.  This is the sort of thing made me go out and buy a bass clari.  Or course, that was forgetting that I suck. :D This has all kinds of things I love.  That bass hook, the groove -- it's all there.  (Incidentally, seeing Mathieu Belanger in Montreal was another of the motivating factors!)

Track 03 - Sounds like Kenny Wheeler to me.  Maybe with a Pat Methenyish guy.  I like the trumpet more than the guitar on this.

Track 04 - First reaction is Giuffre on bari.  Again, a lot to like here.  You're en fuego!  Straight ahead, good ol' fashioned no bullshit swinging 4/4 Jazz.  Not a thing wrong with that.

Track 05 - I was thinking Lazy Afternoon, at first.  No idea who, but again, this is VERY nice.  Piano is absolutely haunting.  

Track 06 - Really loving both the bone and the instrumentation.  This is one of my favorite BFTs of this year.

Track 07 - More strange instrumentation, but more love.  This damned test is going to cost me money!!!

Track 08 - Sounds like Sean Bergin and Curtis Clark to me, but I don't recognize it, so I am most likely wrong.

Track 09 - Odd.  Got an Elanor Rigby vibe on the head.  Loses a touch of its cool once the solos start -- gets more of a CTI feel, but overall, I still like this a lot.  

Track 10 - Has an ECM feel to it, similar to the DeJohnette bands, but it's its own thing.  Abstract, but musical.  Another one I like a lot.

Track 11 - Ordinarily, this would be a stretch for me, as the head seems a bit math-jazzy.  But this combination works here.  Clearly a modern player (Bob Berg influence?).  I don't love the improvisational statement, but there's no denying the overall groove.  Another keeper.  Your killin' it, but I'm able to ID NADA!  

Track 12 - This has a Sam Rivers feel to it, but perhaps a bit more European (think Gunther Hampel).  Again, abstract, but musical.  This has a bit less of the groove that the others had, but it still works.  

Track 13 - That modern guitar sound that I find so troubling.  I suppose it's the influence of Pat Metheny (with whom I rarely click).  This seems more like Ben Monder or someone of that ilk.  The heavily effected guitar always sort of bugs me... frankly, kind of puts me to sleep.  I like the loping feel of the drums (I'm a sucker for 3), but otherwise, this strikes me more as a background cut.  

Also, MG, try refreshing your browser -- I'm able to see it from my tablet.

Cut 12 is "Aqua Blue" from Nicole Mitchell's "Aquarius" album.  Great album, I have it at home, but did not immediately recognize it!  I'm very impressed with Mitchell, need to hear  more by her if anyone has recommendations.  The vibist is someone named Jason Adasiewicz , who I am not otherwise familiar with, but who certainly aqquits himself well on this album!

20 minutes ago, felser said:

Cut 12 is "Aqua Blue" from Nicole Mitchell's "Aquarius" album.  Great album, I have it at home, but did not immediately recognize it!  I'm very impressed with Mitchell, need to hear  more by her if anyone has recommendations.  The vibist is someone named Jason Adasiewicz , who I am not otherwise familiar with, but who certainly aqquits himself well on this album!

Jason Adasiewicz is one of the younger generation of Chicago musicians who Larry Kart has written about on this board Larry has written about going often to see live performances in Chicago of Jason and others in his generation of Chicago jazz musicians.

Adasiewicsz is a real talent as far as I hear. He's adventurous and catholic in his collaborations but also runs a couple of great bands, his trio Sun Rooms and quintet Rolldown. He can be found on very good albums by Jason Stein, Joshua Abrams, Mike Reed amongst others (as Hot Ptah points out, all of whom are active in the amazingly vibrant Chicago scene). I first came across him on Rob Mazurek recordings. 

As for Nicole Mitchell, well she can do no wrong in my book. The 'Aquarius' album is very fine not least for bringing her together with Adasiewicsz.

I'll let everyone get on with discussing the BFT now. Apologies. 

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Adasiewicsz is a real talent as far as I hear. He's adventurous and catholic in his collaborations but also runs a couple of great bands, his trio Sun Rooms and quintet Rolldown. He can be found on very good albums by Jason Stein, Joshua Abrams, Mike Reed amongst others (as Hot Ptah points out, all of whom are active in the amazingly vibrant Chicago scene). I first came across him on Rob Mazurek recordings. 

As for Nicole Mitchell, well she can do no wrong in my book. The 'Aquarius' album is very fine not least for bringing her together with Adasiewicsz.

I'll let everyone get on with discussing the BFT now. Apologies. 

Please give me some recommended specific album titles on the "very good albums by Jason Stein, Joshua Abrams, Mike Reed amongst others, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I like this Blindfold Test a lot. The music is both very interesting, with a lot of substance, and enjoyable to listen to. That is more difficult to achieve in a Blindfold Test than one might think.

I am still listening to this BFT and checking some of the songs against my collection . But here are a few of my impressions so far.

Track 2;  The composition sounds a lot like a Bob Dylan song, "Cold Irons Bound." I am not sure if it is a cover of that song, or a composition which is similar. I do not know who the musicians are.

Track 4:  I love this. The pianist is really good. I wish I knew who it was. At times he or she sounds tantalizingly familiar but I cannot place him or her yet.

Track 5:  I have this album! Now I just have to find it in my collection!

Track 6:  That is a really gutbucket trombone sound at the beginning. I do not know who that is though.

Track 8:  This is not a Monk composition, but it must be a Monk tribute of sorts. The composition and playing have some of Monk's signature sound. I am drawing a blank on who it is.

Track 10:  This is an early ECM album. I bought most of the ECM albums in the 1970s as they came out and know that I listened to this one back then. Now to find it!

Track 13, that sounds like Bill Frisell to me. It also sounds like there could be a second guitarist on this track. I am not familiar with this album.

Thanks Bill, all the clue I need for #10.  It is "War Orphans" (Ornette Coleman composition) from the Paul Motian "Tribute" album.  I have that Motian ECM box set, but have only listened to it once, keep meaning to get back to it.  Sam Brown has a pretty unique sound on guitar

Hot Ptah, 

Good work here.   

On #2, you are correct that it is the Dylan song "Cold Irons Bound."  I won't say more except that the group did at least one album (and maybe two) of Dylan's music exclusively.

Number 4 is a major figure, especially in my eyes.  I'll say it is among his early work, back in the 1950's.

On #5 I understand the response.  This is from a famous jazz label we all know.  It's an important figure, though not necessarily as a musician.  His bands (on record)  typically feature big names.

Number 8 is a Monk tribute, with "Monk" in the title--not this will narrow it down much.

Number 13 indeed features Frisell and another guitarist who is just as renowned (if not more).  In fact, it is the latter's date.

Felser,

You have completely identified #10.  

Edited by Milestones

I think that I may have identified some individual musicians on some tracks.

Track 1.  Whoever the saxophone player and guitarist are, they are really good. They have their own distinct style, and they are saying something in their solos, not just playing a lot of notes.

Track 3. I think that the guitarist is John Abercrombie, from his sound and the way he plays. I lost track of John Abercrombie's complete output long ago, so I have no idea which album this is. I like the playing of the trumpet soloist, the drummer and the organist very much.

Track 4.  I think this is early Randy Weston. There are some short passages where the piano playing reminds me of what he later played, only in much more restrained form on this early recording. compared to what came later. 

Track 7.  The bassist who solos briefly near the beginning sounds like Ron Carter to me. That narrows it down to any one of about 5,000 albums.

I agree on #1.  This is a co-led CD (sax and guitar), and both are serious veterans now (I think the saxophonist is past 60).  I would say it would help to regard these players as of the generation and the approach of Joe Lovano, though not nearly as well-known as Joe.

Yes, track #3 is John Abercrombie.  The album is from the late 1990's.

Yes, #4 is the late, great Randy Weston from early in his career.

And, yes, #7 is Ron Carter.  It is his composition.  Think of the size of the band.