Randy Weston - Thoughts and tributes

jazzbo

Oh no ... anyone knows if he actually played those concerts in Europe in May? I was in Padova (hearing Chicago London Underground) the night he was supposed to play some 20 or 25 kilometres away.

Glad to have seen him in concert twice - once about 10 years back in fantastic shape with his trio (Blake/Clarke), the second time more recently in duo with Billy Harper.

His music has become very, very dear to me over the years - much of it wasn't very easy to acquire (or cost a bit too much for my budget 20 years ago), but eventually, among other things, the whole run of his Gitanes/Verve/Universal France albums and much more has been collected.

I had the great pleasure of first meeting and recording Randy in 1978, in a concert at the Town Hall of St. Lawrence Centre For The Arts in Toronto.  I'll take that off the shelf and listen to my copy.  A wonderful player, and an equally wonderful man, generous of his talent and time for interviews where he expressed himself as clearly and authentically as he performed.  I wish I had a photo of myself with Randy, as Chuck has... 

R.I.P., eternal thanks for the music, and enjoy the everlasting jam session in heaven I am sure you are going to call ..... 

Saw him once in a unique piano duo with Abdullah Ibrahim - he was such an impressive, sweet appearance ...... so was his music.

Edited by mikeweil

A statement from his website.

World-renowned Pianist and NEA Jazz Master Randy Weston Dies at 92 April 6, 1926 – September 1, 2018 NEW YORK, NY, September 1, 2018 – Randy Weston, NEA Jazz Master, Doris Duke Impact Award recipient, United States Artist Fellow and Guggenheim Foundation Fellow has died. The legendary pianist transitioned peacefully at his home today, announced his wife and business partner Fatoumata Weston. He was 92. Weston has been laying down his distinctive rhythms since his first CD, Cole Porter in a Modern Mood, in 1954 right up to The African Nubian Suite, released in 2016. Throughout his prolific 65-year recording career, Weston drew connections between the jazz and blues that surrounded him while growing up in Brooklyn and the music of Africa, his ancestral homeland. The pianist’s long-time attorney Gail Boyd, said, “I spoke with Randy and Fatou just yesterday afternoon, and he seemed the picture of health as we discussed plans for travel and performances across the US, the Caribbean and Africa. His sudden death is another reminder that we all need to live life to the fullest, and Randy did just that, bringing love and joy to his family, friends and fans.” Randy Weston was born in Brooklyn, New York, on April 6, 1926, to a Panamanian father and a mother originally from Virginia. Unlike many African Americans of his generation who acknowledged little connection between themselves and the mother continent, Weston proudly proclaimed himself an African from an early age, thanks largely to the influence of his father, Frank Edward Weston. “I was always reading and imagining what it was like in Africa before it was invaded. You had African empires—Egypt, Nubia, Songhai empire of Mali, Ghana—and the magnificent architecture and the music. It’s mind-blowing. You don’t hear about it in school. You don’t see it in the movies, but I’ve been blessed to live on the continent. I’ve been to 18 countries on the continent. I always look for the oldest people I can find. I want to hear the oldest music I can listen to. We did that growing up in Brooklyn. As kids, we always did that with the old people. They would tell us all these stories.” Weston took classical piano lessons as a child and enjoyed jazz keyboard greats Count Basie, Nat “King” Cole, Art Tatum, and especially Duke Ellington. After serving in the U.S. Army during World War II, he returned home and went to work in his father’s Caribbeanstyle restaurant, Trios, which became a frequent hangout for Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Ella Fitzgerald and Igor Stravinsky, among others. Coleman Hawkins was Weston’s tenor saxophone hero. Hawkins later introduced Weston to then little-known pianist Thelonious Monk, who became Weston’s friend, mentor, and major influence, just as Weston later became to many other musicians. Africa became the theme of numerous future Weston albums, many with arrangements by Melba Liston. They include Uhuru Africa (1960), Highlife (1963), African Cookbook (1969), and Blue Moses (1972). He first visited Africa in 1961 and then again in 1963 as a part of The American Society of African Culture. He traveled throughout the continent in 1967 for the U.S State Department and settled in Tangiers, Morocco, where he remained for five years and operated a venue called the African Rhythms Club. The African Nubian Suite, Weston’s 50th album and first to be issued on his own African Rhythms label, was the most magnificent manifestation Weston’s life-long quest. Recorded in concert on Easter Sunday 2012 at New York University’s Skirball Center for the Performing Arts, the two-CD set lays out the history of the human race in music and words. He and narrator Wayne Chandler trace it back to Ardi, a woman who walked upright 4.4 million years ago in Nubia, a region along the Nile River that straddles parts of what are today Egypt, Sudan and Ethiopia. Weston held honorary Doctor of Music degrees from Colby College, Brooklyn College, and the New England Conservatory of Music. He served as artist-in-residence at New York University, the New School and Medgar Evers College at the City University of New York. In 2010, Duke University Press published African Rhythms: The Autobiography of Randy Weston, written by Weston and arranged by Willard Jenkins. He was honored by King Mohammed VI of Morocco and was presented the Legacy Award by the Institute of the Black World. His decades of work are now archived at Harvard University. The gentle giant (he was 6’7”) continued to reside in his beloved Brooklyn with Fatoumata, his wife of --- years. He had four children, Cheryl, Pamela, Azzedin (deceased) and Kim; seven grandchildren; six great grandchildren; and one great-great grandchild. Arrangements are forthcoming and will be announced soon. # # # Media Contact: Carolyn McClair | (917) 686-0854 | CarolynMcClairPR@gmail.com

In April of this year, I saw of Randy Weston live at the Jazz Standard. He played 5 new compositions written for  James Reese Europe. Too bad he didn't get to record these in the studio... Who knows, maybe he did. 

Take Me Back Home Baby Blues

African Family

Mobile Blues

Waltz For James Reese Europe 

Hellfighters Blues   

Edited by Hardbopjazz