With Strings Jazz Albums

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is some good stuff out there. The first to come to mind is "Focus" by Stan Getz.

I also like "Forever Love" by Mark Whitfield, though there are quite a few solo guitar pieces interspersed with the string orchestra numbers.

Tom Harrell's "Paradise" is pretty good. Clifford Brown's much earlier strings album is quite different (perhaps too close to "easy listening") but worthwhile as well. 

Some of the selections by Haden's Quartet West with strings added are quite good ("The Left Hand of God" is a jewel), as are some of Joe Lovano's projects with strings.  

And of course this is just scratching the surface.  At one point I would have said, "Totally avoid strings!"  These days I'm pleasantly surprised that more than a handful have turned out really well.

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions!

I guess these kind of records fall into a few different categories.  I would consider albums such as those by Stan Getz/ Eddie Sauter and Gary McFarland/Steve Kuhn to be more adventurous jazz/classical/orchestral hybrids.  I love these albums, by the way.

I think of the "With Strings" albums as the jazz guy generally doing his (her?) thing with strings and perhaps woodwinds added for coloration.  These albums tend to focus more on ballads and seem to going for more of a romantic/mood music kind of vibe.

Of course, depending on what the artist, arranger, or A&R guy wanted to achieve, the results could land at various point on spectrum between the two extremes.

Not making the distinction to limit the conversation or suggestions in any way, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

41 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions!

I guess these kind of records fall into a few different categories.  I would consider albums such as those by Stan Getz/ Eddie Sauter and Gary McFarland/Steve Kuhn to be more adventurous jazz/classical/orchestral hybrids.  I love these albums, by the way.

I think of the "With Strings" albums as the jazz guy generally doing his (her?) thing with strings and perhaps woodwinds added for coloration.  These albums tend to focus more on ballads and seem to going for more of a romantic/mood music kind of vibe.

Of course, depending on what the artist, arranger, or A&R guy wanted to achieve, the results could land at various point on spectrum between the two extremes.

Not making the distinction to limit the conversation or suggestions in any way, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Yeah,Stan Getz Focus is awesome!  As fare as the other type, I'll take the Clifford Brown with Strings anytime.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

MI0002014243.jpg

I am a Gary McFarland freak, and I completely forgot about this album!

1 hour ago, felser said:

The McCoy Tyner 'Cosmos' set has some pretty interesting string arrangements on some cuts.  

I need to revisit this.

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Tjader made three albums with strings, arranged by Jack Weeks, Claus Ogerman, and Frank Strazzeri, respectively, all are very good, and all are different.

I have at least two of these.  I love "Latin for Lovers."  I can't remember "Warm Wave."

A nice one. Flip and arranger Dick Hyman collaborated closely on the charts. Fine RVG recording too. Like his model Ben Webster, Flip was born to play ballads. Good choice of songs; Flip does a few on bass clarinet.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Sample this album
6:30

6:09

6:00

6:27

5:40

6:15

4:15

4:31

4:51

4:08

4:40

51Xrx2tYftL._AC_US218_.jpg

14 hours ago, soulpope said:

While not being a dedicated follower of "Strings &Jazz" I really do like Art Pepper "Winter Moon" (Galaxy) from 1981 ....

Yes!!!

7 hours ago, Milestones said:

I also like Tyner's Fly with the Wind, which usually features 8-10 string instruments along with a fairly typical jazz combo.

Fly with the Wind.jpg

Excellent.

This is one that I've been enjoying lately:

61RgGOrCe%2BL._SX425_.jpg

I suppose "jazz vocalists with strings" is almost another category unto itself.

Edited by HutchFan

13 hours ago, Joe said:

Mentioned previously but worth mentioning again:

MI0000101076.jpg

MI0002343881.jpg

MI0000138712.jpg

(WAY WAY OUT)

MI0002014243.jpg

MI0001855919.jpg

In a Twentieth Century Drawing Room was a pisser! Manny Albam wring for four cellos and McKusick's quartet with Barry Galbraith blending in nicely on guitar.

Jimmy Raney recorded an album that never made it to CD called "Strings and Swings" which has some great Raney playing and writing (he did the string writing on it) in his "Suite For Guitar Quintet.

I loved the Deodato arr. of Salt Song on Turrentine's album of the same name.

The Chico hamilton album with Dolphy and strings is so powerful, it's almost frightening. Fred Katz did the arr.

Manny Albam liked to add strings to his big band records.

Johnny Smith did two beautiful "Mood Music" LPs with strings "My Dear Little Sweetheart' and "Guitar With Strings", where he did all the orchestrations.