Teasing the Korean

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, mjazzg said:

R-6103575-1436730507-5735.jpeg.jpg

I always enjoy this. A stand out in his discography, as far as I'm concerne

Greg Osby's Symbols of Light is one of THE finest examples of "with strings" albums I can think of.  Vigorous string quartet charts, and the strings fully engage the rest of the band nearly as equals.  IIRC, none of the individual strings take solos, but they're not merely a backing group either.  Track #2: "Repay In Kind" (by Jason Moran) is one of the standout tracks (among many)...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

One of my favorites, though not "with strings" in a conventional manner.

B00005MAG6.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I absolutely love the integration of the vigorous string quartet writing (“comping” a bit more than than entirely front and center — but WAY more front and center than most “with strings” sorts of projects) — with the rest of the band.

The writing and arranging here is complex, but not quite chaotic.

I also love the way the strings are recorded here too, very in-your-face sounding (in terms of timbre) — I think(?) perhaps close-miked, and in a pretty dry space (little reverb) — a kind of bold choice in terms of pure sound, imho.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

A favorite of mine, and not only for Lee, who's in great form; composer/arranger Bill Russo more than holds up his end. In fact it's something of a blessing to hear Russo's heady ideas in a string quartet setting, apart from the Kenton brassworks.

An_Image_Lee_Konitz_with_Strings.jpg

Manny Albam arrangements on this choice Hank Jones disc  ("Hank Jones with the Meridan String Quartet").

21ARTRKC6RL.jpg