With Strings Jazz Albums

Teasing the Korean

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

I remember this got a rave review in Downbeat.  I bought it but never really liked it. 

One reason I liked it was that the title was misleading! I don't mean that I like misleading titles, but that the actual contents included some upbeat swingers, along with America the Beautiful. The album had as little to do with "rainy day lovers" as the album cover did. The charts were by Fischer, and were hip, as those things go.

In the previous thread noted I mentioned Glen Wilson’s   Trombari, The Devil’s Hopyard. There’s a review here:

http://www.pointofdeparture.org/PoD39/PoD39MoreMoments7.html?fbclid=IwAR0u4AHdUUiD5Ww5Qjj-pMYIV7VLmZ6xo7BJDDH9rASEStLGQ5r2DI7Vr64

Another favorite with strings is Alan Ferber’s Nonet with Strings, Chamber Songs.

https://www.alanferber.com/portfolio/alan-ferber-nonet-strings-chamber-songs/

I think both of these releases are really high quality and deserving of a wider audience.

A few more to add to the mix...

R-2409796-1599244692-3929.jpeg.jpg

David Liebman - Dedications (CMP, 1980)

Also, has anyone mentioned the two Stanley Turrentine / Claus Ogerman collaborations?

6156b%2BBOKWL._SY300_.jpg

Nightwings (Fantasy, 1977)

and

R-1411952-1449860523-6489.jpeg.jpg

West Side Highway (1978)

On 12/15/2020 at 4:36 AM, Gheorghe said:

This is one of my favourites with strings. 

Herunterladen.jpg

Good one!  I picked up that LP earlier this year.  :tup 

Edited by HutchFan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess some of you hate it (and myself is not usually an avid WM fan), but I do like Wynton Marsalis' "Hot House Flowers".  I think it was the most ambitious (and maybe a bit arrogant) project by young Wynton.  He obviously knew that it would be compared with Clifford Brown With Strings.  Wynton may not have been able to beat Brownie,  but I think at least he was still in the game.

Edited by mhatta