The Lost Tapes: Charles Mingus Live In Detroit

bluesoul

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Brad said:

Usually, I don’t pre-order but you never know about these selling out. 

Also if the price goes down before the release date you get the lower price on Amazon.

Amazon doesn't charge your card until it ships as well.

Edited by jlhoots

On 9/6/2018 at 8:03 AM, jlhoots said:

Also if the price goes down before the release date you get the lower price on Amazon.

Amazon doesn't charge your card until it ships as well.

Yeah, I've gotten in the habit of pre-ordering through Amazon. This also seems like a set that may not be on streaming services. 

$35 for 5 discs seems reasonable to me

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, bluesoul said:

From the end of this article...

• And the good news is that there are more treasures to come from the Strata Records and Strata Gallery archives.
  • "In fact," Abdullah says, "Herbie Hancock was the next artist to do a week long residence at the gallery followed eventually by Ornette Coleman, Elvin Jones, Chick Corea, Keith Jarrett and Weather Report. I am working hard to secure these masters as they would even add more to historical legacy of jazz."

Very interesting!!

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I got an e-mail from Spotify saying that it was available fro listening now!  Not sure how they knew I'd care since I rarely use Spotify and don't recall ever listening to Mingus on it.  Nevertheless they say 

"Fresh tracks by your favorite artists, including Charles Mingus, on a personalized playlist that we update just for you every Friday. Listen to it now on Spotify." 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jcam_44 said:

I got my copy today. Forgot I pre-ordered it and forgot it was coming out on the 2nd. I was thinking it was coming later in the month for some reason. Spinning now and it is a fun listen

Same here.  On the first song.  So far, so good

On 20/10/2018 at 6:45 PM, medjuck said:

Last night I got an e-mail from Spotify saying that it was available fro listening now!  Not sure how they knew I'd care since I rarely use Spotify and don't recall ever listening to Mingus on it.  Nevertheless they say 

"Fresh tracks by your favorite artists, including Charles Mingus, on a personalized playlist that we update just for you every Friday. Listen to it now on Spotify." 

Splendid news. There was a couple of samples on there last week but no more. Appetite whetted !

Checked on Spotify and looks like it’s all on there now.

Edited by sidewinder

If I'm reading this correctly, there is a Digital Exclusive Track - Pithecanthropus Erectus (Alternate Take), which is track #13.  Seems a bit counter-intuitive as merchants generally prefer pushing customers to CDs - or vinyl!  I'm pretty sure that anyone who buys a physical release is going to be pissed and very few will then order the digital version.  Strange.  But maybe people who order through Bandcamp get the full DL including track 13.