The Lost Tapes: Charles Mingus Live In Detroit

bluesoul

Finished the master takes on the set, really happy with it (though I question the "jazz saw" solo on the last cut).  Struck me from the package sleeves that all of the musicians involved  passed away 2005 or earlier, and Brooks is the only one who saw his 61st birthday.   

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received my copy today. Have only made it through the first disc so far — and I think I'll keep listening to Disc I for a while before moving on! The sound is quite good. The music is more than good; renews my enthusiasm for Don Pullen in particular. Talk about a versatile player — not unlike Jaki Byard before him.

I’m up to disc 3. C Jam Blues is awesome and although I’m not one who usually goes for long drum solos, Roy Brooks’ solo is terrific. 

I wonder if this set will have a residual effect of leading to more purchases of the Mingus Mosaic set.   

Edited by Brad

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

Yeah, I had the Pullen/Byard parallel running too. Pullen is outstanding here (there, and everywhere).

He seems different here than in the later, better known version of the group,  more "conventional", yet less inclined to certain predictable tricks in his playing. both his periods are good.

I hear Bud Spangler saying something along the lines of Don Pullen, who you might remember from some really great expe4imental music with Milford Graves...I read something similar a time or two in down beat revues at the time. Did that record get heard as much as it sounds like it might have, and how?

On 11/7/2018 at 4:02 PM, JSngry said:

I don't mind Brooks, either. But I still miss Dannie. Nothing against Brooks. But I spend so long listening to so much Mingus=Dannie=Mingus that no matter how good anything else feels, I'll still miss Dannie. It's not rational, it's personal.

Actually, it's rational. I love Roy -- I mean, he's a Detroiter after all. But Mingus has a sort of quirky time feel and it moves around a lot, and I think that, among other things, Dannie Richmond had a way of playing the beat that both pulled Mingus along and seemed to lock into the bass wherever it was and however it moved and made it sound steadier than it was. I don't think the hook up with Roy is nearly as consistent --maybe because Roy is a more conventional drummer in the sense of laying down a hard bop groove. Listen to "C Jam Blues" on this set; sounds like the beat is dragging. Don't anybody misunderstand. I LOVE Roy, but there are horses for courses, and Dannie was the  perfect thoroughbred for Mingus. 

As I said earlier, I've got a piece on this set coming soon. I think it's being published tomorrow. I'll post a link when it's available.

Edited by Mark Stryker

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 10:02 AM, Mark Stryker said:

I have piece dropping on this set soon. (Actually, it's been ready for a week but there have been some issues at the other end of the process. Don't ask.)

Re: the digital only version of "Pithecanthropus Erectus." I was told that Sue Mingus and the estate added this at the last possible second and insisted it be included. Production at that point was too far along to add it to the CDs. I can't believe it was "discovered" later than the other material, so -- and here I am speculating -- there must have been some communication issue between Sue and the producer or some issue that went sideways for this to land as it did

Ok, looking at the overall physical  presentation, I am feeling the love. If this is what happened to create the unfortunate situation with the stray track, some more I of the hurricane Sue, ok, all is forgiven. Just remember that possibility going forth, ok?

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:21 PM, JSngry said:

I've yet to hear a Mingus/Roy Brooks collaboration that really caught fire, probably owing to Mingus's medicated state at the time, but what with Don Pullen & John Stubblefield, this sounds transitional enough that I'm in, yessir.

Ok, this one catches fire. I still miss Dannie, but oh well.

Stubblefield is interesting to hear here, he's very often George Coleman-ish...until he's not. And almost literal "transition" from Bobby Jones to George Adams.

And Pullen...holy shit.

11 hours ago, bertrand said:

Any thoughts on Joe Chambers with Mingus? Essentially it's the Mingus and Friends in concert set, as well as the last sessions on which Mingus does not actually play.

Bertrand.

Nothing there to really evaluate, imo. "planned events", both. I see no reason to think that it wouldn't have worked well though. But I'd still miss Dannie. Mingus without Dannie is kinda like Ellington without Hodges. Nothing wrong, plenty right, but still, objectively, missed.

But am I remembering right, did Mingus actually have a big band active in NYC for at least a little while at the time? Was Chambers in that as well?

What was the book of conversations with Mingus in the early 70s and related commentary? Seems I remember something about a Mingus big band (not a jazz orchestra!) that was working club dates...was that to prep for the & Friends concert or just something that was happening anyway? Would Joe Chambers have been doing that gig, or was he just there for the recording at the concert?

Yeah, this book:

9780520275232.jpg

An excellent read, I thought.

You know him! Bags as we call him lives in the DC area. He is a member of the Bohemian Caverns Jazz Orchestra and is on their CDs. He rarely does leader dates, but I booked him for two at the Smithsonian. An octet tribute to Kenny Dorham in February 2013, and the Cal Massey 90th birthday celebration last January (sextet). One of Cal's daughters and her husband Pierre Chambers (son of Paul) were there.

Bertrand.

Amazing that Lee Morgan was almost on Mingus and Friends but was sick (Dizzy mentions it). A few days later, he was gone :(

I knew him a little, played with him in the "alternative big band" that was happening then. I would be shocked if he remembers that, though. But yeah, one of the nicer, more generous spirits of NT Land at the time. And probably not coincidentally, one of the more "real" players as well, always looked to tell a story instead of flashing all those choplicks. And definitely not coincidentally, smiling a big smile far more often than not, in fact the first thing that came to my mind when you called that name was him smiling. Glad to hear that he's alive and well!

On 10/17/2018 at 8:31 AM, Kevin Bresnahan said:

Bull Moose has it on pre-order for $27.97: https://www.bullmoose.com/p/27978873/charles-mingus-jazz-in-detroit-strata-concert-gallery-46-selden-5cd-set

I'll order it from them and pick it up in the Portsmouth NH store.

I was hoping they would get in a copy but I got sick of waiting and ordered it today. Let's see if they get it. :)

I may add the Beatles latest 50 anniversary box set of the White Album to the list but at $160... ouch.

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I was hoping they would get in a copy but I got sick of waiting and ordered it today. Let's see if they get it. :)

I may add the Beatles latest 50 anniversary box set of the White Album to the list but at $160... ouch.

I got th3 3CD set of the Beatles from amazon for $21.67.  Arrived today and stunning.