Pretty pissed at Dusty Groove right now

mjzee

They had a used copy of one LP I really wanted (Rosemary Clooney - With Love).  I tacked on 4 other items to the order just because I was in the mood.  The order arrived today with the Clooney title listed as "sold out."  I wouldn't have placed the order at all if I had known that; needless to say, they took my order including the Clooney title.  I'll think long and hard before buying from them again.

I will always throw in extra things if I see them but whether I wanted the extra things or not I'd want to KNOW if the major target was actually available or not and wouldn't wait to see if its in the box when it arrives.

Your disappointment is palpable but it has nothing to do with Dusty Groove's actions.  

I sympathize, but one thing to keep in mind is that Dusty Groove has no way of knowing that one item is the one you really want and that the other four are an afterthought. Only you know that. All they know, without being able to read your mind, is that you ordered five items. It would be reasonable for them to proceed as if all five were wanted equally--there's even the possibility, for all they can tell from your order, that one of the non-Clooney items is the one you prize the most!--on the supposition that you'll be delighted to receive the ones they're able to ship.

Edited by riddlemay

2 hours ago, riddlemay said:

I sympathize, but one thing to keep in mind is that Dusty Groove has no way of knowing that one item is the one you really want and that the other four are an afterthought. Only you know that. All they know, without being able to read your mind, is that you ordered five items. It would be reasonable for them to proceed as if all five were wanted equally--there's even the possibility, for all they can tell from your order, that one of the non-Clooney items is the one you prize the most!--on the supposition that you'll be delighted to receive the ones they're able to ship.

I honestly doubt there is a single company on the planet that looks at any multiple item purchase trying to figure out which item is the most prized by the purchaser. 

It's just a part of the process of dealing with any company regularly, you earn their quirks and adjust. Like with their vinyl, I can tell you right now that the older it is, the more grains of salt you have to give to any "+" on the grading, and if you see an older LP graded "Very Good", with no +, expect the noise, it will be an object and/or a play-until-you-get-something-better copy.

They don't tell you this, of course, but if you keep finding things in their inventory that you want to have, you learn how to understand how they do. Failing that, you just don't buy there, but who wants to do that?

They really have a fail-safe system for online shoppers who have no idea if a listing was already grabbed by a prior online browser or snatched by someone in person, so complaining about not finding the big "find" in the well-packaged box is nothing but projecting your anger at the wrong target.

As for the ratings I've taken all of them with grain of salt and never gotten something so beat I couldn't fix it up in Goldwave and make it sound pretty damn good.

Also, if you really REALLY want an item, call them directly and have them pull it for you right there. I've done that a few times.

I still call people, places, and things. People are so online-centric now, I'm like duh, call 'em if you need to know RIGHT NOW, that's what phones can still do.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It's just a part of the process of dealing with any company regularly, you earn their quirks and adjust. Like with their vinyl, I can tell you right now that the older it is, the more grains of salt you have to give to any "+" on the grading, and if you see an older LP graded "Very Good", with no +, expect the noise, it will be an object and/or a play-until-you-get-something-better copy.

They don't tell you this, of course, but if you keep finding things in their inventory that you want to have, you learn how to understand how they do. Failing that, you just don't buy there, but who wants to do that?

Quite honestly, I think their vinyl grading system sucks, but that's just me. I've completely given up on ordering vinyl from them. To my eyes and ears, even their "Near Mint-" isn't graded right. Near mint is supposed to mean it looks and plays brand new but you can't use the term "New" because it's been opened. A simple minus sign doesn't cut it when you use the term "Near Mint". Near Mint- should look and play like a new record. It should not have scratches on the LP and cover wear as some Near Mint- Dusty Grove LPs do.

It only sucks if you think it means something other than what they mean. I've decided that it's their job to but a grading on it and my job to figure out what that means in terms of what I will actually get. I've done pretty well with that. I can decode them a helluva lot better than I can eBay sellers, where every damn thing is VG+. Everything. It's meaningless.

Like growing old (or so I'm told, vinyl ain't for sissies! :g

29 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Also, if you really REALLY want an item, call them directly and have them pull it for you right there. I've done that a few times.

I still call people, places, and things. People are so online-centric now, I'm like duh, call 'em if you need to know RIGHT NOW, that's what phones can still do.

Much of my shopping is too late at night for that but even then, I always understood that they had an online order dept that was back-office/double secret probation/they can't be bothered/don't you know its first come-first serve ordering.  Never occurred to call and get them to find the damn thing straightaway.