Death of the Village Voice

Brad

Your experience mirrors mine and it is true, nothing is permanent. 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

It’s the end of New York as the lodestar for new and uncomfortable ideas... The Voice was once a lodestar to freaks and geeks everywhere. Now the lodestar is both nowhere and everywhere.

Are we sure that Mike Pence didn't ghostwrite this article?

That would reveal a side of him we really don’t know about!

As a tween, I thought it was a weak-tea version of The East Village Other.  When that folded, I went to the VV as the best source of live music listings, and for the quality of their music and film columnists (Christgau, Giddins, Sarris).  I thought their political coverage was silly.  Somewhere in the '90's, a great free alternative emerged: The New York Press, and I quickly switched to them.  The Voice was little more than an afterthought to me after that.

Am I remembering right, that I used to buy copies off the newsstand(?) when I was in Chicago(!?) once or twice a year during my college years? Would've been the late 80s and early 90s.

I used to get the Chicago reader too, but I could swear that I bought copies of the Village Voice somewhere back in my youth (more like my young-adulthood, really), and I was very rarely on the East Coast back then, only 2-3 times at most.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

yeah, you could get it at newsstands here too, from the mid 70s until?

I've gotten the digital version via email for years, free. I've noticed a substantial decline in content over the last year or so, which was a drag. I liked the cartoons. actually, and they had better jazz coverage (when they had it) than most. + Greg Tate and Nelson George. But like Mike Pence said up there, NYC is no longer the lodestar of all that that it once was. Nothing is. Life sucks and binary thought is the reason why. But it's what we're willing to cumulatively tolerate, so suck it up and die in peace. We are The Borg.

3 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

That used to be a very good source for live Jazz events in Manhattan back in the 80s for me.   

Agreed, and not just for jazz - theater and all types of music. I often read the entertainment listings (but rarely any articles) through the '80s and '90s. Paid no attention to the paper after leaving the NYC area in 2001.

Feels like the end of an era in some way, though I figured the Voice would close when it went to free circulation. Kinda surprised it limped on as long as it did.

3 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Am I remembering right, that I used to buy copies off the newsstand(?) when I was in Chicago(!?) once or twice a year during my college years? Would've been the late 80s and early 90s.

I used to get the Chicago reader too, but I could swear that I bought copies of the Village Voice somewhere back in my youth (more like my young-adulthood, really), and I was very rarely on the East Coast back then, only 2-3 times at most.

One of the reasons the New York Press (see my post above) made such a stir was that it was free.  It contained all the event listings that were also in the Voice, but it was free, while the Voice was (I think) 50 cents.  To combat this, the Voice became free in Manhattan only (which is where the Press was available).  This led to the absurd situation where you had to pay for the Voice if you were in Brooklyn or Queens (or Chicago or Dallas, evidently).

• 3 weeks later...