Jimmy "Baby Face" Lewis

medjuck

Working out at  the Y this morning I discovered a  Jimmy "Baby Face" Lewis playlist on my iPod.  I can't remember how or when I  got it but it was good listening including some great guitar work.  Googling his name only got me a couple of pages, one of which was in a foreign language.  There's at least one record (the basis of my playlist)  but not much else. 

Anyone know about him or have an opinion?

I don't know if he wrote all the songs but though there are a few clinkers most of them are pretty coherent-- i.e. they don't just string together blues cliches. (There is one where he does the whole "I ain't mad at you, don't be mad at me" with variations but hey, maybe he was the first to do it. )

Edited by medjuck

6 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

Well, there is the CD on Blue Moon with his "complete" 1947-55 output. I suppose you are aware of that one.

"I'm Wise To You Baby", for example, is a dancing crowd pleaser heard fairly regularly in those circles.

I think my playlist is from that record.   I'd love to join a crowd that dances to this music.