22LP Bird box for trade

Found a Bird Box during a quick visit to a secondhand shop this morning on my way to a meeting. This is one of those rare Italian series of 22 LPs which were issued in the mid-80s. The boxes gathered all the available live and private recordings by Charlie Parker available at the time. I think the content of that box has appeared on another thread but I am not really sure.

Now the cover to the box looks like garbage. That cover has been mishandled and holds together with quite a lot of scotch tape. The edges are about shot off.

I would not have touched it BUT I looked inside the box. The 22LPs were all there and in very good shape. Obviously the person who owned the box did not care for the music and did not play the LPs more than once, if at all. The LPs are all in their original white sleeves. The liner notes (a 20-page discography with nice photos) was also inside and looked pretty good. The liner notes to the set bore nhumber 82 of the 300 boxes that were offered for sale.

I did not want to carry this box to my meeting and left it on hold. I will pick it up later this week.

Now I would like to trade this. Those who have already dealt with me know that I am not for trading for money. Nothing against people who sell items for money but I'ld rather exchange items (CDs, books, rare LPs, etc.)

Problem is that I have almost everything I am interested in. One box I miss though is the Cecil Taylor box that was released in England through Mole Jazz a couple of years ago. But I'm open to suggestions...

Also note that the shipping costs to the States might be pretty high. This would also be a consideration.

And since I'm being a pain on this trade operation, please note that I will be soon be away from Paris until the end of the month so I should not be able to ship it before that time unless an agreement can be reached before this weekend.

The boxes on this issue just didn't stand up well. When I bought mine from Cadence back around 1986-7 or so, they noted that all the Bird boxes they got were damaged in transit. The packaging on the 11 record set from the same people of Bud Powell live performances, on the other hand, was absolutely bullet proof.

I have the box with me. It's as I described. The foldout cover could be fixed but it will never look real good. The 22 LPs are all inside and look without problems. I have listened to a couple of LPs and could not detect any flaw. Note that most of the tracks are private recordings from the forties and early fifties and most of the music is not high fidelity. But the Bird is in full flight.

Practically none of the music duplicates the Mosaic Dean Benedetti box.

The booklet is also in OK shape. The previous owner has written brief additional notes on three pages and the 20-page booklet has three small (coffee?) stains.

The box is discussed in the Charlie Parker sessionography here:

http://www.duke.edu/~bes3/jazz/session.html

The items included in the various LPs are indicated (look for the Birdbox mentions).

This box is looking for a new home and a birdloving owner.

Don't be bashful. It's a great box. I'm not greedy. Any reasonable swap offer is acceptable.

As mentioned earlier, I'll be away from Paris until the end of the month so you can take your time and make an offer.