Frank Kimbrough Plays The Complete Thelonious Monk

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 hours ago, sidewinder said:

No doubt they were swamped with demand and there is a shipping container full of them on its way to the UK as we speak (just in time for the March shenanigans :().

I don't even get notices ... but reading Lon's post above I'm by now positive that the set does exist in the first place ;) 

8 hours ago, Dmitry said:

One cd-worth wasn't enough? Or even a 2-cd set? Just curious what would prompt this encyclopedia-sized undertaking. 

Makes you aware of how great Monk was as a composer.  I've listened to the whole thing twice and there's not one piece here I would have rejected. 

6 hours ago, Sandman said:

I agree with Brad--just listened to CD2 last night and I'm really enjoying this one.

4 hours ago, medjuck said:

Makes you aware of how great Monk was as a composer.  I've listened to the whole thing twice and there's not one piece here I would have rejected. 

I think Kimbrough and company deserve a big thank you and recognition for this accomplishment. 

3 hours ago, Brad said:

I wonder if it was a mistake or a way to get some people to buy it and create some “buzz” and then once there was some interest, raise the price. 

That's plausible, Brad, but I read an article about cars in the Wall St. Journal two weeks ago that I think is relevant.

The middle class is shrinking.  Sales of sedans have collapsed.  Coincidence?  I think not.

I believe that the sales of box sets have never returned to their 2007 eBay price levels.  (Felser might know!)  It could be that not enough people have enough disposable income for 6-CD box sets.

With a smaller middle class, I suspect that price point has become as important as value.

Edited by GA Russell

I received an email from Amazon UK earlier today telling me that the delivery date on my bargain price set (£13) has been brought forward, now due

between 25th and 28th February.

The current price has dropped from the previous high to around £19, if anyone is still interested.

This set is a great accomplishment.  The arrangements are tight and fresh.  They don't wander or digress.  The group is "true" to the original recordings without aping Monk's style. 

Scott Robinson is a marvelous presence on several instruments (one at a time).  And you can't do better than Rufus Reid and Billy Drummond. 

I especially get a kick from hearing the Monk tunes that hardly anyone has ever recorded.