Erich Kleinschuster (1930 - 2018) R.I.P

soulpope

I am saddened to hear this. I interacted with him a few years ago when I wanted to record one of his compositions. He learned about that through the Austrian copyright collection society and actually called me. Then he was generous enough to send me a copy of the original lead sheet. 

I appreciate the many radio sessions he led with guesting musicians. 

2 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I am saddened to hear this. I interacted with him a few years ago when I wanted to record one of his compositions. He learned about that through the Austrian copyright collection society and actually called me. Then he was generous enough to send me a copy of the original lead sheet. 

I appreciate the many radio sessions he led with guesting musicians. 

Thankfuly some of these gems were released on CD ....

8d35a0630b943ce0346c6d0f8a1ddacf8efd19ea

kleins_eric_erichklei_101b.jpg

Edited by soulpope

59 minutes ago, king ubu said:

I was in Vienna when Vol. 2 was released (Summer 2007 I think?), bought it at Red Octopus (was that the name of the shop?) -- he'd have played a gig then, too, but we missed it alas.

Would have been great to see more Volumes, those sessions are mighty good.

Yes, the Red Octopus

249920273_789984e867_b.jpg

After Vol.1 was released, some legal disputes were initiated (don`t remember the details any more) resulting in change of content and a delay of 2 years  for Vol. 2 .... when finally released it completey flew under the radar und vanished quickly without notice (which is pity as the sessions with Art Farmer and Jimmy Heath are superb) .... (officially) unreleased remained sessions with Charles Tolliver, John Surman, Dusko Goykovich, Karin Krog and others ....

Edited by soulpope

50 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

And Red Octopus is no longer there either. 

I knew that ... I didn't spend enough time in there at my only visit, but I bought at least one more CD there (one of the Von Freeman discs on Nessa) - didn't have much money to spend, so it was a very dangerous place :) 

2 minutes ago, king ubu said:

I knew that ... I didn't spend enough time in there at my only visit, but I bought at least one more CD there (one of the Von Freeman discs on Nessa) - didn't have much money to spend, so it was a very dangerous place :) 

Even more of a dangerous place in the late 70`s/ early 80`s, when the small shop was virtualy packed with imports from Japan, US and more or less all stuff released in Europe .... in VINYL format .... but things didn`t change too much in the subsequent first decade of CD`s either ....

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

Some of those sessions are floating around, luckily ...

And then there's that mystery bootleg disc with more material from the same orbit:

More on that album here:

What I never posted about here - apparently - was that Kleinschuster confirmed that he was on that session with Farmer and that the lineup, which was completely false on the Moon Records cover, had the usual suspects of Fritz Pauer et al.

He also said that he was surprised when the CDs mentioned above were released (or at least the first one, can't remember now) because nobody had told him about them. 

Edited by Daniel A

I got both of those Verve CDs from Red Octopus, great service. I had some initial trepidation about their payment method, which iirc, involved sending a CC # through email, but things weren't as net-ready then as they would become. Anyway, great service, and great records. RIP to both this man and to that store.

26 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I got both of those Verve CDs from Red Octopus, great service. I had some initial trepidation about their payment method, which iirc, involved sending a CC # through email, but things weren't as net-ready then as they would become. Anyway, great service, and great records. RIP to both this man and to that store.

I remember hyping you to the store back then  .... they were starting with mail order at that time to survive - which helped a couple of years ....

54 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

I have heard of but never owned those CDs. Will have to grab 'em!

oh wait, $90 a pop on Discogs. ouch.

I did a similar check - with the same reaction. Never saw them in the shops (when we still had jazz CD shops over here).

3 hours ago, soulpope said:

Even more of a dangerous place in the late 70`s/ early 80`s, when the small shop was virtualy packed with imports from Japan, US and more or less all stuff released in Europe .... in VINYL format .... but things didn`t change too much in the subsequent first decade of CD`s either ....

Sounds like the Austrian branch/equivalent of Mole Jazz. Too bad..

4 hours ago, soulpope said:

Unfortunately - the historic place nowadays looks like this .... :

https://www.airbnb.at/things-to-do/places/1239308

Damn boutiques everywhere..:rmad:

1 hour ago, clifford_thornton said:

I have heard of but never owned those CDs. Will have to grab 'em!

oh wait, $90 a pop on Discogs. ouch.

They weren't cheap when they first came out either.  Close to $40 each (per 2-disc set), iirc.  Seems like I remember paying either $36 or maybe $38 each from Dusty Groove (plus shipping).  Worth every penny, though -- especially the first one which I got for the Joe Henderson, but love the Carmell Jones and the double-dose of some of THE best Clifford Jordan I think I've ever heard.

Set up an auto-search on eBay for Kleinschuster, and you never know what might turn up in 6 or 8 months (and not necessarily for $90 either).