One More Way To Tell That You're Ok With Pop Passing You By

JSngry

When you hear the buzz about The Lemon Twigs, check them out and get why there might be a legit buzz, and then do not give absolutely even half a gottdamn about it because, among other reasons, you've read this book god knows how many times before and you know how it ends so why bother to even crack it open, or ev en go to the bookshelf it's on.

Stay hungry kids!

My dad's stock reaction to any new and happening band I was into, back in the 80s / early 90s, was "heard it all before", "nothing new under the Sun" etc.

I admit I feel much the same way these days, a rite de passage I suppose.

Edit: just had a listen to a couple of songs on Youtube. It was very derivative, but there are obviously a couple of generations of folks out there who probably haven't heard anything like it before, and for whom it hits the spot. Who am I to rain on their parade? 

Edited by rdavenport

Pop passed me by around 1990, with the rare exception ("rock" even a few years before that - house and freestyle kept me engaged for awhile before new jack killed that from being played on the radio), and I've not lost any sleep over it.  I figure anything overly meaningful and wonderful (like "there she goes" by the la's) will get to my ears one way or another.  I tried exploring leads like the Lemon Twigs for awhile, found it was not cost (time/effort/money/opportunity loss)-efficient.  

With an almost literal handful of exceptions, "rock" has never meant anything to me, but "pop"...when it's good, I love it...or have loved it. I guess now, not so much. Nothing to do with "music" either, more like finding the joy in the mundane, no matter how shallow or fleeting it is, for that moment, hey, life is not just good, it's perfect, insanely, unrealistically, totally falsely perfect. Yeah it's a lie, but sometimes you gotta lie to stay alive until you can handle the truth.

You know who I liked, was, no pun intended, The Like. I liked The Like. Guess not that many people did. But yeah, go ahead an be young, lead with you glands, think with your brain, play with a freaking beat and stay away from all that mopey stuff.

R-4358987-1506252816-7612.jpeg.jpg

yeah, THAT.

Three that  did register with me in the recent past are Amy Winehouse, Duffy (the first album), and the Pipettes (first album).  So I stiill can dig pop under the right conditions.  Checked out that cut by The Like (ca. 2010 by the way), and it's not bad, would sound pretty great on a car radio!

1 hour ago, Bluesnik said:

Very good the Likes, but from when are they? Looks like the sixties.

They're from the early part of the century: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Like

There's a little bit of "industry pedigree" involved, which means nothing except that they paid attention.Sure doesn't mean they bought "success" or anything. AFAICT, they never really moved beyond cult status.

Z Berg's eyes belong in some kind of Hall Of Fame.