Help ,,drummer,, * Skeets * March..,( Duke Ellington..

Fabio Baglioni

' WE ' all know the drummers of Duke Ellington, starting with Sonny Greer, then from the 50's-years with Louie Bellson, Sam Woodyard , Jimmy Johnson , Dave Black.. Rufus*Speed*Jones..-

In the year..:1966 Duke in his European jazz-festivals tours (*one in Milano ,Italy, and in Parigi ,France..) used to have 'two'-drummers in the Orchestra..:''Skeets'' March with Elvin Jones,.!!..-

Well, ''WE'' all know Elvin Jones.,but surely no-one of us know, or have seen ''Skeets'' March,.?!?,. Is possible to have an ..HELP.. from someone that  posts some photos??,.-

-

Thanks ,,Grazie,, dear JSngry  for the -Links- that I will open and see/reads  later..- Yes the name of the drummer..:*Skeets* March seams totally unknown,!!, his name is listed ..ONLY.. on these two Live Jazz festivals, here in Milano, and in Parigi on 1966, then ''all unknown'' about him..-

-   

The punctuation in this thread is like some sort of Gillespian dream. Fun!

His name was spelled Marsh, not March. I had only seen his name in connection with Basie in 1974 on a tour of Europe with Oscar Peterson. He played in Sweden somewhere and in Prague, but I don't know where else.

It turns out he also recorded with Milt Buckner for Black & Blue in 1973.

In 1966, apart from those two dates in Milan and Paris, he also played with Duke in Geneva, Frankfurt, and Barcelona. Courtesy of Ken Vail's book:

https://books.google.com/books?id=B9b-fWBgzVQC&pg=PA279&lpg=PA279&dq=skeets++drummer&source=bl&ots=-a3th5YXP3&sig=9HQJvcAsyzykPiQ6SGccPbuLdQw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjowr-pkbvdAhXRIjQIHb9PCe4Q6AEwBnoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=skeets%20%20drummer&f=false

But, most interestingly: he appeared with Duke on the Ed Sullivan show in January of 1966! I haven't managed to find video of this, but that might be your best bet to see Skeets.

If the web is to be trusted, he died in 1989.

2 hours ago, lipi said:

The punctuation in this thread is like some sort of Gillespian dream. Fun!

His name was spelled Marsh, not March. I had only seen his name in connection with Basie in 1974 on a tour of Europe with Oscar Peterson. He played in Sweden somewhere and in Prague, but I don't know where else.

It turns out he also recorded with Milt Buckner for Black & Blue in 1973.

In 1966, apart from those two dates in Milan and Paris, he also played with Duke in Geneva, Frankfurt, and Barcelona. Courtesy of Ken Vail's book:

https://books.google.com/books?id=B9b-fWBgzVQC&pg=PA279&lpg=PA279&dq=skeets++drummer&source=bl&ots=-a3th5YXP3&sig=9HQJvcAsyzykPiQ6SGccPbuLdQw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjowr-pkbvdAhXRIjQIHb9PCe4Q6AEwBnoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=skeets%20%20drummer&f=false

But, most interestingly: he appeared with Duke on the Ed Sullivan show in January of 1966! I haven't managed to find video of this, but that might be your best bet to see Skeets.

If the web is to be trusted, he died in 1989..-

.. Sorry,.!!''scusate'' for my spell-words mistakes. Sorry to Mr. JSngry  if with..: March(??not a ploton..) I have drived you to a R,&,B drummer,. Look, dear Mr. Lipi, there is a Live video-concert of Count Basie Orchestra with 'guest' Oscar Peterson in Prague ,1974. The name of the Basie-drummer was listed..: Butch Miles, but on the video there is all another drummer,. Similar fisionomy to..:Grady Tate, (* mustaches), but he is NOT both Miles, or Tate. There are ''storyes'' about having Elvin Jones in the Duke 's-Orchestra.!!. Quite all the Duke 's-musicians weren 't agree, or satisfied of the ''keep time'' of Elvin Jones, too muck ''out'' for what it has to be played in a Big Band.!!. The (too)modern style of Elvin was for small-groups.,5t , trio , 4t ,NOT AT ALL to be played in a Big Bands,.-

-

For those playing along at home, this is the video of the Prague concert that Fabio mentioned:

Someone in the comments says it's Skeets Marsh (based on the same source I've seen, though).

And here:

It's pretty clearly not Butch Miles, despite what the uploader says.

The Library of Congress agrees it's Skeets in '74 in Prague:

https://www.loc.gov/item/jots.200028920/

Also, here's Basie in Sweden in 1974:

You can see the drummer at 2:18.

WOOWOOhh..!!., YES , YES the drummer is the one seen with Basie+Peterson in Prague,1974, and then the same from Sweden 1974,.!. Thanks once again for all of your.help..!!(* aiuto,..

As ''WE'' can see/hear Mr. 'Skeets' Marsh as drummer ''drives'' the big band in the right ways. Surely he is in the line with all the other drummers that have been seated with the big bands,.!!,.

Sorry, but Elvin Jones had NO , NO , experiences at all in Orchetras.,.-

• 3 years later...
On 14/9/2018 at 5:09 PM, Fabio Baglioni said:

' WE ' all know the drummers of Duke Ellington, starting with Sonny Greer, then from the 50's-years with Louie Bellson, Sam Woodyard , Jimmy Johnson , Dave Black.. Rufus*Speed*Jones..-

In the year..:1966 Duke in his European jazz-festivals tours (*one in Milano ,Italy, and in Parigi ,France..) used to have 'two'-drummers in the Orchestra..:''Skeets'' March with Elvin Jones,.!!..-

Well, ''WE'' all know Elvin Jones.,but surely no-one of us know, or have seen ''Skeets'' March,.?!?,. Is possible to have an ..HELP.. from someone that  posts some photos??,.-

-

Fabio, ti rispondo in italiano! Tempo fa caricai si YouTube una registrazione di un concerto di Ellington a Milano nel 1966 in cui Skeets Marsh suonava in tandem con Elvin Jones...

Pochi giorni fa, un canale quasi sicuramente di un italiano, ha caricato parecchi video di jazz, tra cui il filmato dello stesso concerto:

Posso aggiungere inoltre queste preziose informazioni:

Elvin Jones toured in Europe as Duke's drummer in January 1966. Louie Bellson couldn't make the tour as he was booked for concerts with his wife, singer Pearl Bailey.
Duke hired Skeets Marsh for the tour, but as he wasn't pleased with his drumming he asked Elvin to assist him. Needless to say, some elder members of the orchestra didn't enjoy this very much.
And Elvin disliked to have to play with another drummer, Skeets Marsh. During the tour, he decided to stay in Paris and Sam Woodyard flew to Europe to continue the tour.

., Grazie , Grazie caro ''Reminiscing in Tempo'' di Roma,.!!WWOOWWHH..  per queste 'extra informazioni' relative alla decisione di Duke di voler aggiungere, affiancare Elvin Jones a ''Skeets'' March..  Capisco e comprendo le proteste dei musicisti di Ellington  che avranno valutato Elvin Jones ..NON.. essere un batterista da Big Bands,.!!,. Si , ho avuto modo di 'scaricare e copiare l' intero Video concerto -dvd- di Milano , 1066,. come pure degli altri due con..: Count Basie,. C' è anche un' audio-CD di Ellington a Parigi,,.-.Un saluto , Ciao ,fabio  - fabiodrummy@gmail.com  

... Many Thanks dear 'friend' ,,Reminiscing ..from.. Roma (* my oen town too.,) for yhese Your ..extra Informactions.. about the decisions of Mr. Duke to adds. Elvin Jones with ''Skeets'' March., Well , I do undwestand the musicians 'protests'of Mr. Ellington that they may-have considered Elvin Jones being ..NOT.. a Big Bands ..drummer-.!!,.-

Yes , I have had the occasion to downloads and copy in -dvd- the concert from Milòamo ,1966, as also the othe two with..: Count Basie,. There is also a concert of the Orchestra of..: Duke Ellington from Paris with Elvin Jones ,&, ''Skeets'' March,.,!!,.-

- x -