Garnett Brown (Trombone) general discussion, and ?'s re: his tune "Bachafellen"

Rooster_Ties

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 3:06 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

From Brains on Fire (the expanded 2CD version), Garnette is on disc 1, track 1 -- and disc 2, track 4 (the very last track):

"No Exercise" - 12:15

Bass – Reggie Workman

Drums – Brian Brake 

Piano – Heiner Stadler

Tenor Saxophone – Tyrone Washington

Trombone – Garnett Brown

Trumpet – Jimmy Owens

"The Fugue No. 2" (Take 1 / Original Master) - 13:49

Bass – Barre Phillips

Drums – Joe Chambers

Piano – Don Friedman

Tenor Saxophone – Joe Farrell

Trombone – Garnett Brown

Trumpet – Jimmy Owens

And then from Retprospection, he's on tracks 1 & 3:

"The Fugue #2" (Take 2) - 12:37

(same line-up as 'Take 1', right above -- with Joe Farrell)

Pointed - 6:15

(same line-up as "No Excuse", up above, with Tyrone Washington)

BTW, I saw in the liners of the CD's of these two releases late last night, that the two cuts with Garnett and Joe Farrell were recorded in Dec 1966(!) -- where the two cuts with Garnett and Tyrone were recorded in Oct 1973.

I'd definitely remembered that so much of this Henry Stadler stuff was all over the place, in terms of wildly different personnel configurations -- but I'd completely forgotten that the recording dates for these sessions spanned 7 years!!

(So Garnett is on two different sessions from these CD's, from 1966 and 1973.)

[BTW, I think the two, really long big-band cuts are really great.  Shame they didn't come out together, on opposite sides of one LP -- the two cuts being 25 and 29 minutes in length respectively.  Really would have made more sense to have programmed them together, as a unified set.]

My new all-in-one is wireless by default and is already getting hinky about it, going to hook up USB style soon, and when I do, I will scan and post this article/interview(?)if you're interested.

JRM64291-MZ.jpg

That's also the issue where Dr. John tells the story about some cat hearing Coltrane and jumping into a swimming pool to drown himself, or something like that. This was in 1975, and for most people, myself included, his deeper background was not known, so it was a fun read.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

My new all-in-one is wireless by default and is already getting hinky about it, going to hook up USB style soon, and when I do, I will scan and post this article/interview(?)if you're interested.

JRM64291-MZ.jpg

That's also the issue where Dr. John tells the story about some cat hearing Coltrane and jumping into a swimming pool to drown himself, or something like that. This was in 1975, and for most people, myself included, his deeper background was not known, so it was a fun read.

Thanks for mentioning 1975 - so I can look for/at my own copy (thanks to inheriting my uncle's complete Downbeat collection, dating from ~1965-1990).

That said, I'm sure a scan would be welcome by everyone here too!

58 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

It looks like Garnett is still with us: https://www.facebook.com/garnett.brown.35. He was at board member Valerie Bishop's memorial service at Catalina's with a whole slew of Jazz masters. I still miss Val.

Garnett Brown is in the center, in front of Herbie.

Image may contain: 13 people, people smiling, people standing

Nice photography .... thnx for sharing ....

Any idea what the tune title "Bacha Fillen" (or whtaever the spelling is) means?

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

JRM64291-MZ.jpg

Yes, please make a scan - IIRc my downbeat collection does not include that issue.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Just giving this a bump for no particular reason.  I'd seen article Jim scanned in my own copy, but seem to have missed you having uploaded them (thanks!).

Came here just now to post my favorite tune from Frank Foster's Manhattan Fever ("Seventh Avenue Bill") -- as I'd had reason to post it in another thread earlier today) -- but see I already did so up a ways, back in Sept of last year.

Shame Garnett didn't record more, and get more solo-space when he did record -- I still think he's a underrated/under-recorded player.

• 2 years later...

A recent live version of “Bachafillen” — if less than a decade ago can be considered ‘recent’.

"Bachafillen" by Garnett Brown, arr. Thad Jones, transcribed and edited by Dave Sharp. Performed by the University of Northern Iowa's Jazz Band One directed by Chris Merz at The HuB in downtown Cedar Falls, Iowa on February 9, 2012.

• 2 months later...

I sure remember "Bachafillen". I used to play in Jo'burg, South Africa regularly with a fine pianist from Pretoria called Robert Payne. One night, he brought the chart to a gig. I ran through it a few times, and soloed until I got the feel of it. Good for blowing.

That brought back some good memories.