Happy Birthday Michael Cuscuna - 70 Today!

Never met the man myself (exchanged letters a few times in the previous century, but that's it), but his business life has been one of enlightened service to the jazzmusic consumer, and I for one am extremely appreciative. More than "Happy Birthday", I'd like to say thank you, sir, and please please please keep a finger (or more) in the ongoing operations of Mosaic records. Please!

If I need to run fetch a cape, let me know!

I had an exchange of e-mails with him about different takes on the mono and stereo releases of MJQ LPs that he was not aware of, it was fiendly and professional.

What would the jazz world be without him? Our shelves would be a lot smaller. Trying to find the best way between business realities and the desire to keep all good music in ciculation was his mission, and he succeeded. Thanks for the good work!

Edited by mikeweil

A very happy birthday!

I seem to remember exchanging emails with him a small handful of times maybe 12-15 years ago. Re: ideas for Selects, iirc (that might include a few more previously unreleased BN sessions).

And I met and talked with him a bit here in Washington, at an event at the Library of Congress. I think I only had 1-2 questions for him, and I didn't want to monopolize his time and attention. (Ok, I really *did* want to pick his brain about a dozen things, but I resisted the temptation.)

Ton of music that I own, that he was somehow involved with getting out. Much thanks to him!!

24 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

A very happy birthday!

I seem to remember exchanging emails with him a small handful of times maybe 12-15 years ago. Re: ideas for Selects, iirc (that might include a few more previously unreleased BN sessions).

And I met and talked with him a bit here in Washington, at an event at the Library of Congress. I think I only had 1-2 questions for him, and I didn't want to monopolize his time and attention. (Ok, I really *did* want to pick his brain about a dozen things, but I resisted the temptation.)

Ton of music that I own, that he was somehow involved with getting out. Much thanks to him!!

If I had that chance I'd have picked his brains about the unissued Sounds recordings. And the ill-fated session with Gene on organ and Grant on guitar.

I had a pleasant email exchange with Michael back when I got the only existing copy of the Four Sounds demo and sent him a transfer. He seemed genuinely pleased to hear it but said he'd never include it in a reissue, too different from their other recordings.

Anyway obviously done much for the music we love so cheers to Michael on a milestone b-day.

10 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

If I had that chance I'd have picked his brains about...

The only detail I remember from our emails (eons ago), was that he said the unreleased BN Jackie McLean date with Tyrone Washington, that "the tapes were lost" (which I always felt possibly(?) contradicted(?) the notion I've read here and elsewhere that Jackie wasn't the least bit happy with the drummer on that date - or so I've heard told, anyway).

And the only question I remember asking him here in person at the LOC (about 5-6 years ago), was about a previously unreleased live Andrew Hill recording that he (Michael himself) mentioned in an interview, in conjunction with that Freddie Hubbard live thing from 1969 that did come out on BN (greatly expanding what had only been ~2 tracks released previously).  Michael had mentioned wanting to get a live Andrew Hill thing out, and I'd always wondered just *when* the heck whatever it was had been recorded?  Something from back in the day?? - or more recently??  Anyway, he said it was some concert he'd done within the last 10 years, I forget exactly where - but WAY more recent.

I fought the urge to specifically ask him if he thought there was any way he could imagine somehow getting the Trainwreck out officially/legit -- and how strong I felt it was (having heard it 100+ times myself).  Knowing his opinion of the date, I didn't think any such discussion would turn out well, and I didn't know how to broach the topic in any sort of way that wouldn't set him off (since my opinion was so strongly different than his).  Also, I think(?) this was before Bob Belden had passed away, and I didn't want to run any risk whatsoever, or getting Bob in any trouble, since my copy came from Bob (through someone else).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 years later...