LF: Benny Bailey/Sal Nistico/Dusko Goykovich "Ego Recordings" 4CD collection

I suppose this is probably impossible to find now (only came out 6 years ago).  Anyone happen to have a line on a copy?

https://www.discogs.com/es/Various-The-EGO-Recordings-Of-Benny-Bailey-Sal-Nistico-Dusko-Goykovich/release/7296953

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/626593

Only just noticed that I've had this on my Dusty Groove "Want List" for at least 4(?) years, maybe longer?  No idea when I added it, and I'm just noticing again now.  And looks even better on paper now, than it apparently did when I very first saw it (which may have been before I ever heard (or even heard of) Sal Nistico. :ph34r:

Any comments on the music??  How much is this worth tracking down?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Another EGO 4CD set that looks interesting too...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-EGO-Recordings-Of-Joe-Haider-Fritz-Pauer-Horace-Parlan/release/8059654

EDIT:  And another (third) one too...

https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-EGO-Recordings-Of-Leszek-Zadlo-Alan-Skidmore/release/7297468

Edited by Rooster_Ties

49 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Get the LPs and save money. They aren't expensive or rare.

Really? The Nistico-Benny Bailey starts at $18 on discogs; all but one shipping from Europe.

The Goykovich higher than that, all copies outside of the US.

I got interested in the box sets due to the existence of the Horace Parlan with Wilton Gaynair - that's $24 right now, all plus international shipping. If I recall from the liners this was a musician's label with modest distribution, modest print runs, and modest success.

The LPs were all over the place over here back then. IIRC Joe Haider was involved in the label. When the label folded, many copies where sold at low prices. I'd say they gave a very good impression of a vital part of the German jazz scene with the pool of players involved. 

I personally like the Fritz Pauer (Billy Brooks is great on it), the Vince Benedetti (an excellent example of the McCoy Tyner Quartet's influence on the local scene), and the East Of Isar LP best - although that latter band was smokin' a lot more when heard live. There's not a bad album on the label. 

Edited by mikeweil

So common long before the turn of the century, particularly in  Europe. But are they common now?  Or priced cheaply?  Even at $70 the box set is not poorly priced, for good digital transfers and booklet, containing 4 LPs, vs LP costs individually which are unlikely to be minus ticks and pops.

Especially if you're shipping to the US.

23 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

The in-stock copy Amazon had yesterday, seems to be gone now -- I think it was available (direct from Amazon?) for $75, new (iirc).  They do have a couple 3rd party sellers with copies for $120 (and $235) -- which is way too rich for my blood.

I *might* have been tempted to get it at $75 -- maybe -- but it would have taken me a week to quit my hemmin' & hawin' about the price.

I think(?) my price-point is more like $60, though lord knows I'd be happier if I could pay more like $50.  In this day and age when there are 5-CD mini-sets available brand new, and legit (admittedly without any liners), for well less than $25 usually (even with shipping) -- it's a little harder to justify plunking down what would have been ~80 for just 4 CD's.  (Then again, I have occasionally spent over $40 for just one CD, so it all depends on what it is, and how much I really want it.)