The Choreography of Jackie & Roy

JSngry

I had some pleasant encounters with both of them through the years (I was a great admirer of their work, of Jackie especially), but after Roy passed I found out from a longtime close friend and sometime musical associate of Jackie's that Roy was a control freak in the top class who abused Jackie emotionally on a consistent basis. One of the big problems that Jackie had after Roy passed is that she pretty much didn't know how to do anything in terms of practical living -- finances in particular. Roy had swept all that over to his side of the table and kept Jackie in the dark. Fortunately, she had a male friend of her age who had been fond of her for years, and he tried his best to help her out/help her along. Lord knows she could sing like an angel almost until the end. BTW, she couldn't read music; everything she sang she learned by ear.

19 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

I had some pleasant encounters with both of them through the years (I was a great admirer of their work, of Jackie especially), but after Roy passed I found out from a longtime close friend and sometime musical associate of Jackie's that Roy was a control freak in the top class who abused Jackie emotionally on a consistent basis. One of the big problems that Jackie had after Roy passed is that she pretty much didn't know how to do anything in terms of practical living -- finances in particular. Roy had swept all that over to his side of the table and kept Jackie in the dark. Fortunately, she had a male friend of her age who had been fond of her for years, and he tried his best to help her out/help her along. Lord knows she could sing like an angel almost until the end. BTW, she couldn't read music; everything she sang she learned by ear.

sad to hear this story. they are one of my favourites since ever and i´m sad to hear this story!

keep boppin´

marcel 

I too am sad to hear Larry's story. I once saw Roy handle a situation with amazing grace. They were booked into the ballroom of the Fairmont Hotel in Chicago in the nineties, which at the time was trying to make it as a music venue. The opener was a sixteen-piece big band, then J & R. In that huge ballroom, two tables were occupied--ours, and the one next to ours, both in the front row. A total of eight people. The show went on. Jackie & Roy came out and went right into their first number. Then Roy addressed the eight of us. Facing the situation head-on, and sidestepping the fact that he and Jackie were humiliated, he expressed concern for us instead. "Don't be embarrassed or uncomfortable," he said. "Pretend that Jackie and I have had you all over to our house for dinner, we've had a wonderful meal, and now we're in living room, where Jackie and I go to our piano and entertain you for a while." 

Edited by riddlemay

I'm wondering if the level of choreography (and I use that term to refer to all the coordinated body movements, including facial expressions) shown in this videos was something they just did for this TV or if it was a part of their club act at the time, for some or all numbers.

Specifically, I'm wondering if Rob & Laura got the inspiration for their their bit directly from Jackie & Roy.

I've seen two mentions of "High On An Open Mike" here today. I love that title, it's like for once, being high really does take you out into space, infinite space (aren't there still radios and tv waves out there in space?) and you live forever. So hey, Jackie & Roy were there for that!

11 hours ago, riddlemay said:

I too am sad to hear Larry's story. I once saw Roy handle a situation with amazing grace. They were booked into the ballroom of the Fairmont Hotel in Chicago in the nineties, which at the time was trying to make it as a music venue. The opener was a sixteen-piece big band, then J & R. In that huge ballroom, two tables were occupied--ours, and the one next to ours, both in the front row. A total of eight people. The show went on. Jackie & Roy came out and went right into their first number. Then Roy addressed the eight of us. Facing the situation head-on, and sidestepping the fact that he and Jackie were humiliated, he expressed concern for us instead. "Don't be embarrassed or uncomfortable," he said. "Pretend that Jackie and I have had you all over to our house for dinner, we've had a wonderful meal, and now we're in living room, where Jackie and I go to our piano and entertain you for a while." 

Glad to hear that story. I remember when the Fairmont tried to book entertainment, but I was no longer writing about jazz for the Tribune in the nineties and thus missed that gig.

3 hours ago, JSngry said:

I've seen two mentions of "High On An Open Mike" here today. I love that title, it's like for once, being high really does take you out into space, infinite space (aren't there still radios and tv waves out there in space?) and you live forever. So hey, Jackie & Roy were there for that!

That was a swinging band. Quite a solo from Benny Green.

12 hours ago, mjazzg said:

That's just very good indeed. Never heard of these folk until this thread. Will be hearing more of that album if I can track down a copy

This is the only album like this that they did, AFAIK.

13 hours ago, JSngry said:

I followed your lead on that one a year or two ago and was more than a little well-pleased!

It's crazy good, avant-garde and catchy at the same time!