Michel Legrand Plays Richard Rodgers (Philips, 1963)

Teasing the Korean

Most people know about Legrand Jazz, but Plays Richard Rodgers is a real overlooked gem. Legrand uses an expanded big band with rhythm, saxes, and brass, along with a French Horn and woodwind section.  Players include Clark Terry, Bob Brookmeyer, Urbie Green, Phil Woods, Paul Gonsalves, Milt Hinton, Gary Burton, and Tommy Flanagan or Hank Jones.  

Superb arrangements with just that perfect amount of space-age sparkle.  Great soling too.  Comparable to the kind of stuff that Q or Oliver Nelson were doing at this time, but with a sound that is very Legrand.

Digitally, this is available on the Anthologie set, and also paired with Broadway is My Beat, which is more orchestral pop than jazz.  On LP, this came out in the US as Philips PHM 200-074.  

Highly recommended if you like this kind of stuff. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

I can't help thinking that Legrand is under-used on this album. If he he was let loose completely, his arrangements/orchestras seemed to create this unsurpassed mixture of beautiful voicings, creative and sometimes unexpected forms and a general sense of luxury. I always turn to "Cinema Legrand" when I want to experience that. In comparison, here he seems to have simplified himself somewhat. 

But I like tracks like 'There's a Small Hotel' from the Plays Rodgers album. 

On September 29, 2018 at 4:24 AM, Daniel A said:

I can't help thinking that Legrand is under-used on this album. If he he was let loose completely, his arrangements/orchestras seemed to create this unsurpassed mixture of beautiful voicings, creative and sometimes unexpected forms and a general sense of luxury. I always turn to "Cinema Legrand" when I want to experience that. In comparison, here he seems to have simplified himself somewhat. 

But I like tracks like 'There's a Small Hotel' from the Plays Rodgers album. 

Wow, I really disagree with this assessment.  I think there are all sort of interesting colors and textures on this album, and what is remarkable to me, considering the size of the group, is that it never sounds cluttered.  

It might be a question of taste, but probably I am missing some of the subtler aspects of Legrands big band scoring on this album. I can appreciate the difference from the "Legrand Jazz" album, but I guess I am too addicted to his writing for a full orchestra, like his arrangement of 'A Time for Love' from "Cinema Legrand":

On September 30, 2018 at 5:19 PM, Daniel A said:

It might be a question of taste, but probably I am missing some of the subtler aspects of Legrands big band scoring on this album. I can appreciate the difference from the "Legrand Jazz" album, but I guess I am too addicted to his writing for a full orchestra, like his arrangement of 'A Time for Love' from "Cinema Legrand":

I guess we hear different things, but Legrand's orchestrations sound "fuller" to me on Richard Rodgers album than Cinema (which is a very nice album, but the way).  I am hearing more complex harmonies and interesting sectional interplay on RR. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean