Otis Rush R.I.P

soulpope

56 minutes ago, Chuck Nessa said:

DAMN!!! I had the pleasure of attending his gigs from 1964 on....

Thanks to Bob Koester for introducing me to Otis.

Not sure any of his recordings give a decent picture of the power of his South & West Side gigs back then.

Grateful for what we have.

Chuck, if you did have to recommend one of the recordings, what would it be?  I know conventional wisdom goes that his initial Cobra sides were great, and that everything else pales in comparison.  I have the Cobra sides (which I like a good bit), have not heard much else.

I can't say I knew he was still around but this is very sad news.

(Does anyone else hear Otis as the biggest vocal influence on Clapton?  Whenever my wife plays Clapton I think Otis when he sings.)

I recently tossed in a lowball offer on an Otis  CD on a Discogs order, it was called Live and Awesome and to my surprise it was both.

14 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

(Does anyone else hear Otis as the biggest vocal influence on Clapton?  Whenever my wife plays Clapton I think Otis when he sings.)

Clapton copied Rush's solos note for note on the tunes John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers covered - some Mayall fan was quite surprised when I played him the Otis Rush originals many years ago.

R.I.P. - Rush was one of the very few blues artists I really loved. His Cobra sides are among my desert island discs, as is the Cotillion LP Mike Bloomfield and Nick Gravenites produced - God bless them for this. His raw power was somethin' else. 

Edited by mikeweil

31 minutes ago, mikeweil said:

Clapton copied Rush's solos note for note on the tunes John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers covered - some Mayall fan was quite surprised when I played him the Otis Rush originals many years ago.

Yes but I am referring to Clapton's vocals. I feel he copied (as best he could) Otis singing too.

On September 29, 2018 at 7:19 PM, felser said:

Chuck, if you did have to recommend one of the recordings, what would it be?  I know conventional wisdom goes that his initial Cobra sides were great, and that everything else pales in comparison.  I have the Cobra sides (which I like a good bit), have not heard much else.

Make sure and get "Right Place, Wrong Time."   His Chess recordings include the incredible "So Many Roads."   Chicago, the Blues Today vol. 2 contains some superb Otis Rush tracks from the 60s.   There are a number of good live albums from the 70s - Tops, So Many Roads, Live in Concert (Tokyo), and All Your Love I Miss Loving (Live at the Wise Fools Pub) are among the best.  I believe that his last two studio albums, Any Place I'm Going and Ain't Enough Coming In, are seriously underrated.  You won't be disappointed if you get them.  

Another very good 70s session is Troubles, Troubles (Also released as Lost in the Blues with dubbed horns).  A Cold Day in Hell is uneven, but contains some great performances.   

In contrast to Chuck, I am not much of a fan of the Cotillion album - the production didn't suit Otis.  One to avoid at all costs is Screamin' and Cryin', which was recorded when he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  

Edited by John L

16 minutes ago, John L said:

I believe that his last two studio albums, Any Place I'm Going and Ain't Enough Coming In, are seriously underrated.  You won't be disappointed if you get them.  

I was just recommending these to John. Great covers show off his vocals on these.

17 hours ago, John L said:

Make sure and get "Right Place, Wrong Time."   His Chess recordings include the incredible "So Many Roads."   Chicago, the Blues Today vol. 2 contains some superb Otis Rush tracks from the 60s.   There are a number of good live albums from the 70s - Tops, So Many Roads, Live in Concert (Tokyo), and All Your Love I Miss Loving (Live at the Wise Fools Pub) are among the best.  I believe that his last two studio albums, Any Place I'm Going and Ain't Enough Coming In, are seriously underrated.  You won't be disappointed if you get them.  

Another very good 70s session is Troubles, Troubles (Also released as Lost in the Blues with dubbed horns).  A Cold Day in Hell is uneven, but contains some great performances.   

In contrast to Chuck, I am not much of a fan of the Cotillion album - the production didn't suit Otis.  One to avoid at all costs is Screamin' and Cryin', which was recorded when he was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.  

Thanks, I do have those three "Chicago, The Blues Today" sets, haven't played them in years, need to pull them out.  All, will look at getting around to some of those other titles, thanks.