Steve Coleman, HOT BRASS box set

Guy Berger

• 4 months later...
57 minutes ago, Guy Berger said:

It’s interesting how much more organic and loose Steve’s approach has become over the past 24 yrs.

Totally agreed, and I'd entertain the notion that the concept has remained fundamentally the same, that it's the players playing it who have lived in/with it long enough to open up that loseness and organi-ness. The whole thing when first appeared, was not unlike the odd-meters of a few decades earlier. There was a lot of math involved, and most people had to do the math while playing jsut to keep it from falling apart. They were high level players, but still....math is math. But the longer that shit was out there, the more natural it came as instinct, math certainly evolves like that. And now, with a good Steve Coleman band, the math is not at all what you hear right away, you just hear the impulses and pulsations and worry about the math later, if at all.

Maybe I'm projecting my evolution as a listener onto the music itself, but the further the records go, the looser the bands sound to me, evern when A-B ing older vs. newer.

• 2 months later...