Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CardinalJazzFan

BFT 175 Discussion Thread

16 posts in this topic

On #2 that sure sounds like McCoy Tyner leading a big band.  Only problem is I thought I'd heard all of that stuff, yet this track does not sound familiar.  Plus, relatively deep into the track I hear what sounds like a Dizzy Gillespie solo.  Tyner and Dizzy?

But if that's not Tyner, I'll pay you 5 bucks.  

I know #6.  It is "De Pois Do Amor O Vazio" from Wayne Shorter's Odyssey of Iksa, which I acquired fairly recently.

I will do one more. The last track (#13) sounds like a duet between Charlie Haden and Ornette Coleman.  I thought I'd heard all of their work in straight duet format, but I'm not recognizing this.  I really like it and I'm curious to know where it comes from.

43 minutes ago, Milestones said:

On #2 that sure sounds like McCoy Tyner leading a big band.  Only problem is I thought I'd heard all of that stuff, yet this track does not sound familiar.  Plus, relatively deep into the track I hear what sounds like a Dizzy Gillespie solo.  Tyner and Dizzy?

But if that's not Tyner, I'll pay you 5 bucks.  

You can keep your $5.  It's Tyner's "Uptown" from the 'Inner Voices' album (1977 - Milestone Records).  And if it sounds like a Dizzy Gillespie solo but isn't a Dizzy Gillespie solo, then of course it is a young Jon Faddis solo.

Yeah, one of the very few Tyner records not in my collection.

Faddis...that makes sense, though here he's more restrained than usual.

8 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Yeah, one of the very few Tyner records not in my collection.

You need to fix that ;) .  Cheapest on ebay right now.

Posted (edited)

Track 5 is "Hub-Tones" by Freddie Hubbard, though of course this is a rather new treatment, sounding a bit odd and processed in spots.  Not bad, though. I believe it's a very new version by Kamasi Washington.

Track 12, to my ears, sounds like Ray Anderson.  I'd guess one of the "Bass-Drums-Bone" records.  Not that familiar with those records, but I like Anderson; and this does sound like him (I could be wrong).

Edited by Milestones

Track 7 is "Dreaming of the Master" by Art Ensemble of Chicago.

Track 9 is "Exaltation/Religious Experience" by Carla Bley (big band).

Our jazz tastes are pretty close.

Posted (edited)

On #1, I have no idea, other than it's an old track--1940's at least.

I'd guess that the baritone player is the leader on track #3.  Ronnie Cuber?  Hamiet Bluiett?

I have no idea on #4 and #8.

Track #10 is "If You Could See Me Now."  It sounds a bit like Peterson-Pass-Brown, but those guys are much more distinctive and engaging than whoever is playing here.

Track #11 is a funky yet tasteful piano trio.  It could be a lot of folks.  Maybe Gene Harris?

Edited by Milestones

Quick sample listen, I can immediately hear McCoy, a chord that I first hear on Palmieri's "Nunca con Tigo (which would mean Rene Hernandez), Wayne, AEC(M), Snurdy, and Haden/Shepp. Nothing else was immediately identifiable to me, but a deeper listen requires more time than I have at this moment. However, other than #1, it all sounds like good jazz fun!

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:28 PM, Milestones said:

I know #6.  It is "De Pois Do Amor O Vazio" from Wayne Shorter's Odyssey of Iksa, which I acquired fairly recently.

That is correct.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:43 PM, Milestones said:

I will do one more. The last track (#13) sounds like a duet between Charlie Haden and Ornette Coleman.  I thought I'd heard all of their work in straight duet format, but I'm not recognizing this.  I really like it and I'm curious to know where it comes from.

You are correct about Charlie Haden. It is not Ornette playing with him.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:54 PM, felser said:

You can keep your $5.  It's Tyner's "Uptown" from the 'Inner Voices' album (1977 - Milestone Records).  And if it sounds like a Dizzy Gillespie solo but isn't a Dizzy Gillespie solo, then of course it is a young Jon Faddis solo.

That is correct. It is the only song on the album without a chorus of voices. The voices provide tasteful wordless backings, but some people did not care much for them when the album was released. I thought that this song might not be identified for that reason.

On ‎10‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:28 PM, Milestones said:

Track 5 is "Hub-Tones" by Freddie Hubbard, though of course this is a rather new treatment, sounding a bit odd and processed in spots.  Not bad, though. I believe it's a very new version by Kamasi Washington.

Track 12, to my ears, sounds like Ray Anderson.  I'd guess one of the "Bass-Drums-Bone" records.  Not that familiar with those records, but I like Anderson; and this does sound like him (I could be wrong).

You are correct about Track 5.

That is not Ray Anderson on Track 12.

22 hours ago, Milestones said:

Track 7 is "Dreaming of the Master" by Art Ensemble of Chicago.

Track 9 is "Exaltation/Religious Experience" by Carla Bley (big band).

Our jazz tastes are pretty close.

Yes, you are correct on both. I wondered if anyone would identify the Carla Bley track.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, Milestones said:

On #1, I have no idea, other than it's an old track--1940's at least.

I'd guess that the baritone player is the leader on track #3.  Ronnie Cuber?  Hamiet Bluiett?

I have no idea on #4 and #8.

Track #10 is "If You Could See Me Now."  It sounds a bit like Peterson-Pass-Brown, but those guys are much more distinctive and engaging than whoever is playing here.

Track #11 is a funky yet tasteful piano trio.  It could be a lot of folks.  Maybe Gene Harris?

Ronnie Cuber plays on Track 3 but is not the leader.

That is a correct song ID on Track 10.

That is not Gene Harris on Track 11.

30 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Quick sample listen, I can immediately hear McCoy, a chord that I first hear on Palmieri's "Nunca con Tigo (which would mean Rene Hernandez), Wayne, AEC(M), Snurdy, and Haden/Shepp. Nothing else was immediately identifiable to me, but a deeper listen requires more time than I have at this moment. However, other than #1, it all sounds like good jazz fun!

You have added Snurdy and Haden/Shepp to our correct identifications. You are correct on McCoy, Wayne Shorter, Art Ensemble of Chicago, which had been identified.

It appears that I made this Blindfold Test rather easy!

Edited by CardinalJazzFan

I'm a bit surprised (and embarrassed) that I mistook Shepp for Ornette.  I don't have much  Shepp, but I've never thought of him as particularly close to Ornette--but here he does sound similar (or so it seems to me). 

I'd say I'm not likely to identify anything else.

Could #3 be Idris Muhammed from the 1970's?  The track certainly has a 70's vibe.