This Is Going To Be Either REALLY Cool...

JSngry

From Dusty Groove (the BASTRADS!):

zztakefiveacollection_101b.jpg

Various -- Take Five -- A Collection Of Various Interpretations . . . CD . . . $15.99 (Item: 80678)

Roof Music/Trocadero (Germany), 1960s/1970s/1990s Condition: New Copy

Was there ever a greater jazz hit than "Take Five"? It's hard to think not -- especially when hearing this sweet little set! The master compilers at Roof Music have come up with a new take on the compilation -- instead of "different songs by different artists", they're up for "one song by different artists" -- and this time around, the song is especially great! "Take Five" was first penned by alto sax genius Paul Desmond when working in the famous Dave Brubeck quartet -- and although Dave's recording of the tune sold a bazillion copies, it also led to some really incredible other versions of the track served up over the years! The tune has a loping, modal groove that opens up no matter who seems to take it -- and which lends itself equally to both jazz and vocal versions, no matter what the setting! If you only know Dave's original, prepare to be very surprised -- and to highly enjoy very alternate versions of "Take Five" by artists as diverse as Carmen McCrae, The Specials, Sydney Youngblood, Monica Zetterlund, Young Lions, Jazzkantine, Quincy Jones, Trudy Pitts, George Mgrdichian, and Helge Schneider. And heck, the CD even features a different take on the tune by Dave Brubeck himself!

I dunno...

Edited by JSngry

I think this is a pretty cool idea ... sometimes I do the same kind of thing by programming the same song from different artists on my multi-disc CD player.

he he :D

I once burned a cd with a dozen or so different versions of Tenderly, and I still never got sick of the tune.

I don't have the same enthusiasm for Take Five, but it still could be cool.

I burned a disc with 12 or so different versions of Frank Zappa's "The Black Page" - most of them different versions from Zappa himself (some radically different from each other), but there are 4 or 5 verisons others have done too.

Not quite the same thing as an all-"Take Five" disc, or an all-"Round Midnight" disc --- but certainly better than that Rhino LP I had back in junior-high school (circa early 80's for me) that had nothing but a dozen different versions of "Louie Louie" on it!!! :P

Probably one of the most idiosyncratic players on this one is the versio by Helge Schneider (real audio clip). The guy is a very talented multi instrumentalist who combines jazz, R&B, classic, and whatever else comes across and uses it all in a fabulous combination with stand up comedy to produce something totally unpredictible but VERY enjoyable. The guy definitely has his own kind of logic. He did some jazz albums that I still intend to pick up.

this one a.o. features a marvellous version of Misterioso on accordion (one of those huge two octave things). (Click the numbers 1 to 13 that follow the real adio icon to hear some samples, you get a pop up that should automatically start playing, if it doesn't click the link (german text))

here's the other jazz album, which feat. Take Five BTW.

Not quite the same thing as an all-"Take Five" disc, or an all-"Round Midnight" disc --- but certainly better than that Rhino LP I had back in junior-high school (circa early 80's for me) that had nothing but a dozen different versions of "Louie Louie" on it!!! :P

Hey, that compilation rules!

:lol:

How about the very recent one from Jacques Loussier ... the theme and ten variations on the allegreto from Beethoven's Symphony No. 7. Loussier is an acquired taste ... and his jazz credentials are suspect, but some of this is quite good ... and NPR frequently uses it as bumper music on its news programs..

Garth,

Houston.

rock, no didn't see that. The funny voice is only funny when the guy himself does it. He has some weird non-linear logic when to use it and when not. I have known people who do it as well, awful. The guy himself is really full of surprises but a good musician too and he knows how to tear down a house. A have seen him play Monk tunes at the piano with help of his elbows and heels, and damn if those dead funny things aren't musically perfect as well. Like Monk he will suddenly interrupt his playing, mumble something like "dance!" and start dancing around only to return to his instrument at the exact right moment. Extraordinary guy.