Interesting cyber-espionage story

T.D.

The Big Hack: How China Used a Tiny Chip to Infiltrate U.S. Companies

This is an excellent and scary story. Bloomberg hit a home run with this one. 

Disclaimer: No intent to introduce politics, I just found the story compelling.

On a somewhat related note, I recommend Edward Jay Epstein's How America Lost Its Secrets, which is mainly about the Edward Snowden enigma but contains a lot of info on foreign intelligence services; details omitted in order to avoid politics.

Edited by T.D.

This problem seems to be limited to Supermicro computers but when the full extent of this is revealed, we may find other OMDs, BIOS manufacturers, Wireless SOC and general purpose SOC products have been compromised.  One of the uncomfortable realizations is virtual fab companies can license an ARM design and build a SOC that contains functions that cannot be defined from outside the chip.

This could be as bad as Meltdown and Spectre (still not fixed). 

There isn't much we consumers can do to limit exposure.   My advice would be to not purchase a new computer for the next couple years if at all possible.  Wait for new architectures and new CPU chips to be designed and brought to market.   If you must buy now, get Intel inside, not ARM.