Journey to Parazzar

Steve Reynolds

On Not Two Records 

recorded live on 9/24/2017 in Ukraine

McPhee on alto saxophone & pocket trumpet

Edwards front & center on his Double Bass & Kugel on drums

first 28+ minute piece is the most traditional free jazz like piece with McPhee wailing  on alto saxophone until he switches to trumpet some 20+ minutes in. As is his wont he gives the others plenty of space entering and re-entering at seemingly random times - very astute listener - he’s maybe the best of this sort.

why I posted this is for the second 19+ minute piece which is purely improvised music of the highest order. Starts with bass & drums and Joe adds alto then trumpet later on. Crowd goes bonkers at the end of this improvisation.

wow

set ends with a 4+ minute and a short 2 minute tribute to Cecil Taylor where McPhee vocalizes to the skies of whatever

true living legend at the peak of his powers at 77

Sounds like a good one (which of McPhee's aren't). Thanks for the review Steve

I recently shifted my collection around and discovered quite how many Joe McPhee albums I have in the full range of group sizes and solo and not a dud amongst them.  He's not visited here for a little while, I'll not blame him if the travelling's getting more difficult