21 CD box of Art Ensemble of Chicago on ECM

GregK

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/8/2018 at 0:27 PM, king ubu said:

So 15 or 16 new Art Ensemble albums? Now *that* would be a feast! :w

I very nearly had that very experience decades ago:  I had a friend living in Japan, so I sent him a pile of money and he sent me the 5 or 6 DIW releases that were available at that time.  It was epic.

Having revisited some 80s AEC material at a friend's house recently, I was reminded of how GOOD they were at that time. Maybe my tastes have changed or I've heard more music in the ensuing 20 years, but those ECMs really stand the test of time as much (if not more than) the earlier work.

The box is a great deal; too bad I have most of the CD-era stuff already...

5 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Having revisited some 80s AEC material at a friend's house recently, I was reminded of how GOOD they were at that time. Maybe my tastes have changed or I've heard more music in the ensuing 20 years, but those ECMs really stand the test of time as much (if not more than) the earlier work.

The box is a great deal; too bad I have most of the CD-era stuff already...

I beg to differ. For me, none of their ECM's comes even close to their 60's work. Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy vs "Numbers1 & 2"? "The Third Decade" vs "People In Sorrow"? Not in the same league, really.

That said, I understand the excitement. The box includes a lot of very good to excellent music and seems great value. But I would love to see the same deluxe box treatment for their complete 1969-1971 European recordings.

49 minutes ago, corto maltese said:

I beg to differ. For me, none of their ECM's comes even close to their 60's work. Lester Bowie's Brass Fantasy vs "Numbers1 & 2"? "The Third Decade" vs "People In Sorrow"? Not in the same league, really.

That said, I understand the excitement. The box includes a lot of very good to excellent music and seems great value. But I would love to see the same deluxe box treatment for their complete 1969-1971 European recordings.

I agree. I am not the biggest AEoC fan in general, but to my ears their later stuff is markedly worse than earlier. And Lester Bowie's Brass Band... eh.    

The band evolved. How could they not? Why should they not? I get the difference, but there was no point at which I said oh well, these guys are done, they're through, later. The closest I came to even considering that was with The Third Decade (my reaction at the time was, oh, we have our new MJQ), but then that DIW stuff hit and that was that.

As for Brass Fantasy, that stuff was fun. Period. Serious fun, but geez, Lester Bowie not having fun...file that one under Unrealistic Expectations.

d0eb374b-9ef6-4faf-8012-7583372b5e3e.jpg
5635344c-34c8-43d7-9ce5-5099799bf9a9.jpg

fb8db278-ea87-46e7-8579-9744794ef060.jpg
This very special and numbered edition brings together the ECM recordings of Lester Bowie and Roscoe Mitchell with the Art Ensemble of Chicago and related projects including Bowie’s Brass Fantasy, Mitchell’s Note Factory and the Transatlantic Art Ensemble, as well as groups led by Jack DeJohnette and Wadada Leo Smith.

Art Ensemble of Chicago: Nice Guys (1978), Full Force, (1980), Urban Bushmen (2 CD, 1980), The Third Decade (1984Leo Smith: Divine Love (1978)  Lester Bowie: The Great Pretender (1981), All The Magic (2 CD, 1982), I Only Have Eyes for You (1985), Avant Pop (1986), Tribute to Lester (2001), Roscoe Mitchell & The Note Factory: Nine To Get Ready (1997), Transatlantic Art Ensemble/Mitchell: Composition/Improvisation 1, 2 and 3 (2004), Transatlantic Art Ensemble/Parker: Boustrophedon (2004), Roscoe Mitchell & The Note Factory: Far Side (2007), Roscoe Mitchell: Bells for the South Side (2 CD, 2015) Jack DeJohnette’s New Directions (w Lester Bowie) (1978), Jack DeJohnette’s New Directions: In Europe (w Lester Bowie) (1979), Jack DeJohnette: Made In Chicago (w Mitchell, Abrams, Threadgill) (2013)
PRE-ORDER
color-twitter-48.png
color-facebook-48.png
color-link-48.png
color-forwardtofriend-48.png
color-youtube-48.png
color-instagram-48.png
 © *2018 ECM Records US, A Division of Verve Music Group. All rights reserved.

6 hours ago, Harbour said:

I assume the CDs are just in basic cardboard sleeves, has anyone seen inside the box?

Safe assumption based on the shape of the box.  BTW, down to $92.59 pre-order price on Amazon, and release date shows as Nov. 30.

18 hours ago, OliverM said:

I have already 6CDs so quite tempted.

I have 14 (some of them doubles), so nope ... the DeJohnettes and some of the Bowies I don't have, the rest had been here for a while, and much of it is quite treasured (the Roscoe more so than the actual AEC albums, I think, though the late "Tribute to Lester" is beautiful).

11 hours ago, felser said:

Safe assumption based on the shape of the box.  BTW, down to $92.59 pre-order price on Amazon, and release date shows as Nov. 30.

I'd expect it to be a large type version of the smaller boxes (Abercrombie, Jarrett, Lloyd, Motian etc.) - it would be nice to get of course, but still it's a bit bloated (the Wadada, as well as the DeJohnette albums seem a bit of a stretch, not the "Made in Chicago", but the earlier ones).

I'd love to get that booklet though, that's for sure!

2 hours ago, king ubu said:

I'd expect it to be a large type version of the smaller boxes (Abercrombie, Jarrett, Lloyd, Motian etc.) - it would be nice to get of course, but still it's a bit bloated (the Wadada, as well as the DeJohnette albums seem a bit of a stretch, not the "Made in Chicago", but the earlier ones).

I'd love to get that booklet though, that's for sure!

Price is so good (about $4/disc), it can absorb some stretching/padding in the contents.  And the earlier DeJohnettes are a great prize to me, probably my favorite discs in the box.

5 minutes ago, felser said:

Price is so good (about $4/disc), it can absorb some stretching/padding in the contents.  And the earlier DeJohnettes are a great prize to me, probably my favorite discs in the box.

Hm yeah, if I found such a great price locally (if I order online, it will get 25-30€ more expensive due to taxes and fees). I don't think I can justify the acquisition ...

• 3 weeks later...