Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GregK

21 CD box of Art Ensemble of Chicago on ECM

81 posts in this topic

Like CJ Shearn, I got mine straight from ECM via their special deal for journalists. Only had 4 of these on vinyl and one on CD, so didn’t have to think twice. Listening to Tribute to Lester right now, which I missed at the time, and it is inspired! And the booklet is amazing, including what appear to be all of the original artwork and liner notes plus much more. This will keep me busy for quite some time and will surely see me digging into their earlier work again. (My box # is 1563/6000.)

Tribute to Lester has always been one of my favorites, along with the two that came out on Pi Records a year later

any comments on the booklet (quality/length of essays etc)?

btw, "label-side down" can end up much worse, as there's no thick protective layer of plastic on that side, a deep scratch on the label side may not just impact readability but actually destroy the disc

If you have this set, inspect it carefully. Mine arrived with two copies each of discs VI and IX, while discs IV and XI were missing. Someone needs to work on his/her understanding of Roman numerals...

Mine is complete. Listening recently and on my 14th of the 21 discs at present. Really enjoyed the AEC discs, especially Urban Bushman and Tribute to Lester.

My first order was missing a disk. Don't remember which one now. No problem getting a replacement from Amazon, though.

Just listened to Urban Bushmen this morning!