Cannonball Adderley "Swingin' in Seattle: Live at the Penthouse (1966-1967)"

soulpope

adderley.png

CANNON COMIN' AT YA! (For Record Store Day’s Black Friday event)!! I’m thrilled to share the inaugural release on the new archival-centric Reel to Reel label (with Canadian jazz impresario Cory Weeds) — Cannonball Adderley "Swingin' in Seattle: Live at the Penthouse (1966-1967)." Featuring all previously-unissued cuts by the killer quintet of Cannonball and Nat Adderley, Joe Zawinul on piano, Victor Gaskin on bass and drummer Roy McCurdy. These recordings are a delight and remind us why Cannonball and THIS band mattered. WE URGE YOU TO CALL YOUR LOCAL RECORD STORE to make sure they know you want a copy. Available from Music Video Distributors (MVD), This hand-numbered, limited-edition of 2000, 180gm 2LP set (endorsed by the Julian Adderley estate and musicians) is mastered by engineering legend Bernie Grundman available exclusively for Record Store Day Black Friday (11/23), and comes with an elaborate insert containing rare photos; essays and statements by Bill Kopp, Charlie Puzzo, Cory and yours truly; interviews with Jim Wilke (with Stephen Griggs), McCurdy, Vincent Herring, Cannonball's widow Olga Adderley Chandler, and more. Cover photo by Lee Tanner.

(Source : Zev Feldman`s Facebook site)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

They are doing CD at some point right?

These would be the same source as the Three Sounds release on Resonance and the Wynton Kelly/Wes thing as well. I think they were pre-broadcast soundboard not compressed FM.

Yea - CD for me, though I could usually do without Zawinul.

MG

From Disk Union Japan (translated through Google translate):

Featured Label Appearance» 
* Now collaborative work by Zev Feldmann who has the name of "Jazz Detective" and Collie Weez of Canadian name jazz label Cellar Live. 
* The jacket design, booklet production team is a work by the same staff as Resonance !! 

CANNONBALL ADDERLEY / PERFORMANCE / CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARANCE ¤ / Swingin 'in Seattle: Live at the Penthouse 1966-1967

1966, 67 year super hot Cannonball Adderley Quintet! 
Live performance at Seattle's jazz club "The Penthouse" 
"Sticks" and others, a number of songs symbolizing this era will be excitingly funky!

● Cannonball Adderley Quintet that followed his brother's nut, Joe Zavinul, Victor Gaskin, Roy McCurdy in June 1966 and 1967 An album containing live performances at Seattle's jazz club "The Penthouse" in October. 

● All the performances were unpublished, and in the year 66 he played back after returning to the Amsterdam Live Recording on June 3 and returning home. 
In August of this year I played for the second time with the same member, but I can hear it with the album "Cannonball In Japan" released from Capitol. Also, the performance of 67 years is about two and a half months after the Capitol board "74 Miles Away" recorded in the June and July, and it is said that it is between the Capitol board "Accent On Africa" recorded in June 1968 Become.

● What is being played is Jimmy Heath's original "Big" P "", 74 Miles Away "title songs and the standard song" The Girl Next Door "Morning Of The Carnival" and "Somewhere" that are contained in "The Sticks" and "Hippodelphia", "Great Love Themes" that can be listened to "Cannonball In Japan" and the famous recording "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy" "And Charlie Parker's Blues" Back Home Blues ". Among them, playing "Back Home Blues" by Cannonball has not been able to hear until now. 

Both 66 years of performance and 67 years of performance are hot and groovy things reminiscent of the summer 's Japan tour in Japan. Especially Roy McCurdy's sharp drumming is shining. 

Members: 
Julian 'Cannonball' Adderley (as), 
Nat Adderley (corn), 
Joe Zawinul (p), 
Victor Gaskin (b), 
Roy McCurdy (ds) 
Recorded live at the Penthouse Jazz Club in Seattle, 
WA on June 15 & 22 , 1966 and October 6 & 13, 1967. 

ETTA JONES / ___ ___ ___ 0  Easy Sunday: Live at the Left Bank

«Bruzie & Swingy · Vocal!» » 
Eta Jones, 1972 One night at Baltimore's Jazz club
An attractive singing with the name backer of Cedar · Walton · Trio !!

● Etha Jones, born in South Carolina in 1928 and singing in numerous big bands since the 1940s, has been independent for a while In 1960, I recorded a lot of attention with "Do not Go To Strangers" (participated by Frank Wes and Richard Wyers etc.) recorded to Prestige. After that, I recorded a superb work that followed Prestige from Oliver Nelson, such as Larry Young, Kenny Burrell etc, but after I left "Etta Jones Sings" to Roulette in 1965, I stayed away from recording for a while I'm sorry. 

● Two songs of 1972 were recorded in Cedar · Walton's live board "Three Sundays In The Seventies:" Live "At The Left Bank" (Label M Records), enjoying the powerful singing voice after a long absence , In the following 73 years recording with the Houston · Person and Jean Ammons advanced to the real comeback, and since 1976 it left a masterpiece one after another in Muse.

● The excavation this time was live recording at the Baltimore club on February 27, 1972. In other words, in the session with the cedar · Walton · trio mentioned above, it is possible to hear the singing voice for a long time since the Roulette board, but among the ten recorded songs "Do not Go To Strangers" and "Blow Top Blues "was a performance that I heard on the Label M Records board. Although the remaining 8 songs will be the first performance to listen to, the "Theme from" Love Story "at the beginning is a performance by Cedar · Walton · Trio, but Eta does not participate. Cedar trio that followed Sam Jones, Billy Higgins, also leaves a lot of name recordings, but here again this audience is booming with the swingy play unique to this trio. 

● Etta who got the trio's backing without complaints also gently swings and sings ballads moistly. 

Members: 
Etta Jones (vo), 
Cedar Walton (p), 
Sam Jones (b), 
Billy Higgins (ds) 
Recorded live at the Famous Ballroom in Baltimore, 
MD on February 27, 1972. Presented by the Left Bank Jazz Society.

Good news.  The Wynton Kelly Wes Montgomery Smokin' in Seattle was very good and good sound. 

20 hours ago, JSngry said:

These would be broadcasts, right?

This could be a really good record.

From the Resonance site regarding the Wynton Kelly Cd:

"Located in the heart of Seattle’s historic district in Pioneer Square,the Penthouse jazz club was opened in 1962 by Charles Puzzo, Sr., and quickly became a destination for iconic jazz talents such as John Coltrane, Oscar Peterson, Stan Getz and The Three Sounds to name a few. Well-known radio personality, Jim Wilke, developed a working relationship with this legendary club, which in turn allowed him to air live broadcasts from the club every Thursday night using state-of-the-art equipment of that era. His weekly radio show, Jazz from the Penthouse, aired on Seattle’s NPR affiliate, KING FM from 1962 through 1968, and has never been rebroadcast. When executive producer George Klabin learned of these recordings, he couldn’t believe his good fortune to come across this thrilling 1960s material of Wes Montgomery with Wynton Kelly."

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

Good news.  The Wynton Kelly Wes Montgomery Smokin' in Seattle was very good and good sound. 

From the Resonance site regarding the Wynton Kelly Cd:

"Located in the heart of Seattle’s historic district in Pioneer Square,the Penthouse jazz club was opened in 1962 by Charles Puzzo, Sr., and quickly became a destination for iconic jazz talents such as John Coltrane, Oscar Peterson, Stan Getz and The Three Sounds to name a few. Well-known radio personality, Jim Wilke, developed a working relationship with this legendary club, which in turn allowed him to air live broadcasts from the club every Thursday night using state-of-the-art equipment of that era. His weekly radio show, Jazz from the Penthouse, aired on Seattle’s NPR affiliate, KING FM from 1962 through 1968, and has never been rebroadcast. When executive producer George Klabin learned of these recordings, he couldn’t believe his good fortune to come across this thrilling 1960s material of Wes Montgomery with Wynton Kelly."

Well, I don't know about never...there's a Coltrane Penthouse broadcast from 1965 not too much after Pharaoh joined that's pretty LOL-ish. The announcer is all FM cool and suave and hey, welcome to blahblahblah and now here's John Coltrane and immediately BOOM  it's off into Father/Son/Holy Ghost territory or something similar, just full frontal full bore energy. I mean, you can hear the melting.  I think WKCR aired it..or maybe it was part of the Sweet Potato Pie collection, I don't know, it's been a while, but the contrast between what was going on immediately before and immediately after Pharoah joined is pretty extreme!

51 minutes ago, felser said:

Reel to Real is just a rebranding of the EU Real Gone Jazz label, from what I can tell.

So the holiness almighty of Resonance/Elemental goes euro pd pee pee now? Or is there nothing you can really tell? Real Gone Jazz (not the same as Dustygroove related Real Gone Music, just in case) would definitely not bother about any substantial booklets (though I agree having the design team of Resonance isn't worth all that much, the design is merely okay at its best).

12 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I don't think John's supposition is accurate. I think this is a new project by Zev and Cory Weeds to put out some of Zev's finds especially the Left Bank tapes he got.  Maybe future Penthouse tapes will be here and not issued by Resonance?

But what about Real Gone Jazz? We all know it's a new joint venture by those 2 guys already.

They're the 77 albums on 0.3 CDs label, lousy design, sometimes it seems mp3 pressed onto CD, lacking info ... thou cannot get cheaper than that, would be an epic fall from the (partly self-proclaimed) parnassian heights of Resonance.

(Edited for lousy typing on lousy remains of phone.)

Edited by king ubu

8 minutes ago, king ubu said:

But what about Real Gone Jazz? We all know it's a new joint venture by those 2 guys already.

They're the 77 albums on 0.3 CDs label, lousy design, sometimes it seems mp3 pressed onto CD, lacking info ... thou cannot get cheaper than that, would be an epic fall from the (partly self-proclaimed) parnassian heights of Resonance.

(Edited for lousy typing on lousy remains of phone.)

This is not something I know...what have I missed?