Cannonball Adderley "Swingin' in Seattle: Live at the Penthouse (1966-1967)"

soulpope

Roy McCurdy, y'all, ROY MCCURDY!!!!!!

It's worht noting that lesser players would get intimidated by his unintimidated intensity, but no, not these guys, they thrive on it. It's a beautiful thing to hear/feel. Also Zawinul, people might have ambiguity about him in general, here especially, but it's one of those things where if he wasn't hanging, espcially in the comp, you would feel it right away. And you don't, not for a second. He's more than hanging, he's like everybody else, he's come to play!

Recommended!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is, and to be honest, it's apples and oranges. Quintet, not sextet, and Roy McCurdy(!) not Louis Hayes. My preference is for the later band, and/but I gotta tell you, that's coming from the slow but steady trickle of live stuff that's been coming out. The Capitol records of the time, probably intentionally, don't give you the full punch that this one does. Not even Money In The Pocket, which is a bit revelatory in that sense, doesn't get to what this one does. So much natural energy!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

It is, and to be honest, it's apples and oranges. Quintet, not sextet, and Roy McCurdy(!) not Louis Hayes. My preference is for the later band, and/but I gotta tell you, that's coming from the slow but steady trickle of live stuff that's been coming out. The Capitol records of the time, probably intentionally, don't give you the full punch that this one does. Not even Money In The Pocket, which is a bit revelatory in that sense, doesn't get to what this one does. So much natural energy!

Thanks!

Picked up the new Adderley and compared to the Jack Wilson release, my immediate reaction is that the Adderley release sounds like it was heavily compressed during post production mastering.  Kind of sounds squashed, tubby and boomy.  Sounds like the Adderley has some digital stereo reverb added in post production as well.  The mastering on the Jack Wilson disc breathes much easier and is less fatiguing and is probably a closer approximation of the source tape.  Haven't had a chance to listen to all the Adderley music yet, but the playing itself sounds very good so far.  Oh -- the 26 page booklet in the Adderley CD was smashed and several pages were bent.  The booklet wasn't trimmed to size properly only fits in the digipack sleeve with great force, and apparently the people the label hired to insert the booklets decided to carelessly force the booklets in the sleeve out of frustration, bending the pages.

Edited by monkboughtlunch