The future of new CDs?

GA Russell

Rock singer Steve Perry has a new cd out this week called Traces.  10 songs.  Amazon has it for $11.49 prime.
https://www.amazon.com/Traces-Steve-Perry/dp/B07G1YKQ57/

Target is offering the same cd for the same price.  But it is also offering its own exclusive cd with FIVE addition songs for $13.99.
https://www.target.com/p/steve-perry-traces-target-exclusive/-/A-53930983

Target has for quite some time offered exclusive CDs with two extra tracks, but I've never seen Target or anyone else corner the market on an additional 50% of the album.

Maybe this will be a way to get people to buy the physical product.

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Rock singer Steve Perry has a new cd out this week called Traces.  10 songs.  Amazon has it for $11.49 prime.
https://www.amazon.com/Traces-Steve-Perry/dp/B07G1YKQ57/

Target is offering the same cd for the same price.  But it is also offering its own exclusive cd with FIVE addition songs for $13.99.
https://www.target.com/p/steve-perry-traces-target-exclusive/-/A-53930983

Target has for quite some time offered exclusive CDs with two extra tracks, but I've never seen Target or anyone else corner the market on an additional 50% of the album.

Maybe this will be a way to get people to buy the physical product.

Happened a good bit 30-35 years ago when the industry wanted us to buy cassettes or CD's instead of vinyl.  "CD only bonus tracks" or "cassette only bonus tracks".

Steve Perry was the singer on all of the  monster Journey hits.  Interesting history of that group, which began as a progressive offshoot from Santana with Gregg Rollie and Neal Schon, also Aynsley Dunbar and a very talented Bay Area guitarist named George Tickner.   They then transformed into the hitmaking bohemoth they were (and I do love "Who's Crying Now" and "Separate Ways" myself).

3 hours ago, felser said:

Happened a good bit 30-35 years ago when the industry wanted us to buy cassettes or CD's instead of vinyl.  "CD only bonus tracks" or "cassette only bonus tracks".

It also happened in Japan, where labels often added extra tracks to the Japanese CD so that Japanese fans would not import the cheaper US version.

3 hours ago, felser said:

Hold on, big guy.  Name me one album whose CD bonus tracks amounted to half the number of the vinyl tracks.

6 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Hold on, big guy.  Name me one album whose CD bonus tracks amounted to half the number of the vinyl tracks.

Sorry for any confusion.  My point was that offering "bonus tracks" on preferred formats dates back to the 80's (at least).  That being said, I'm pretty sure I can find a CD release from that era where they added a bonus EP that is half the # of tracks of the original album.  Here is one that the CD adds 5 tracks onto a 15 track vinyl album, so that's getting close:

R-7761931-1498509859-5287.png.jpg

55 minutes ago, JSngry said:

What happened to him?

Serious question, I do/would not know.

He stopped playing for years. He then got into a relationship with (apparently) a very nice inspiring woman who died of cancer after they'd been together for a while. More details I don't have. She apparently was the impetus for him to attempt to restart his music career.

2 hours ago, felser said:

Sorry for any confusion.  My point was that offering "bonus tracks" on preferred formats dates back to the 80's (at least).  That being said, I'm pretty sure I can find a CD release from that era where they added a bonus EP that is half the # of tracks of the original album.  Here is one that the CD adds 5 tracks onto a 15 track vinyl album, so that's getting close:

R-7761931-1498509859-5287.png.jpg

That's close enough for me!

19 hours ago, lipi said:

What you are seeing are the death throes of a confused industry.

This, and this only. 

21 hours ago, felser said:

Steve Perry was the singer on all of the  monster Journey hits.  Interesting history of that group, which began as a progressive offshoot from Santana with Gregg Rollie and Neal Schon, also Aynsley Dunbar and a very talented Bay Area guitarist named George Tickner.   They then transformed into the hitmaking bohemoth they were (and I do love "Who's Crying Now" and "Separate Ways" myself).

I always thought Only The Young was fantastic as well.