Ken Peplowski Duo Concert - Saturday, Oct. 27

Ken Dryden

We (my wife and I) are producing a concert featuring Ken Peplowski with Chattanooga pianist Danny Sample (an old friend, of Donald Brown and most of the famous Memphis jazz pianists). They are reprising their 1993 meeting in Chattanooga, this time as a duo. The concert will take place at New Monumental Baptist Church at 6 pm EDT on Saturday, October 27th.

Tickets are available at EventBrite.com and all proceeds benefit Volunteers in Medicine, which supplies no cost health care to uninsured residents below a certain income level.

If anyone would like more details, please PM me. I realize that most of the forum participants may be outside of the area, but if you know of any jazz fans in Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville, or Huntsville, it might be worth the drive for them.

If it's as good as the duos Kenny used to do with Howard Alden, it should be well worth the trip. I played on two jazz records with Kenny back in the 80s, and was honored to give him rides to the gigs that we did together. One time he came up to me and said out of nowhere, "I really like your playing". I thought I was dreaming...

Edited by sgcim

Ken broke a finger when he grabbed a woman who nearly fell down the stairs on a jazz cruise. He  sounded great in May when we heard him twice in NYC with Dick Hyman.  If anyone is up early this Saturday, you can hear a radio special I produced to promote the concert, which includes part of an interview from earlier this month. The website is WUTC.org.

1 hour ago, AllenLowe said:

Ken is alive and well, hand is functioning fine; I played with him over the summer.

I was told by a club owner that he was having trouble and he pointed me to this: https://www.gofundme.com/ken-peplowski

Hence, my concern.

I am very glad to hear he's back playing and playing well.