John Coltrane - 1963: New Directions (3 CDs)

Late

81J0GE7GKHL._SL1500_.jpg

The complete 1963 recordings, including:

The Lost Album

• John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman

• Selflessness

• Live At Birdland

Bam.

I wonder if the Hartman sessions will come from the tapes without reverb. I couldn't find a tracklist. I'm guessing there might be a track or two that hasn't been issued before? 

The Japanese market will have a UHQCD release.

Not all of Selflessness was recorded in 1963.  The title track was from 1965.  So I guess you get the two Newport cuts (including his greatest "My Favorite Things").  No idea why I would want this release, pure duplication (and I'm not a fan of the Hartman sides, though of course I own them).  OTOH, if "missing" Birdland cuts show up, count me enthusiastically in, but I  can't see that happening at this late date...

26 minutes ago, Late said:

• Selflessness

But only the other two (2) tunes from that album, I assuming, right? -- i.e. "My Favorite Things" and "I Want To Talk About You", which are both from July 7, 1963.

(But "Selflessness" comes from Oct 14, 1965 -- or so I'm just seeing -- and had to be reminded, as I'm nowhere near as steeped in Trane, as I am some others.)

Have to confess, "Selflessness" is not an album (or album cover design, even), that I'm all that familiar with.  Maybe I've seen a copy a gazillion years ago, but I've no memory of it.

QUESTION:  I'm seeing there was a Japanese-only issue of "Selflessless" (the whole album) back in 1994.  But is that the only time any of its three (3) tracks have been issued on CD?

4 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

But only the other two (2) tunes from that album, I assuming, right? -- i.e. "My Favorite Things" and "I Want To Talk About You", which are both from July 7, 1963.

(But "Selflessness" comes from Oct 14, 1965 -- or so I'm just seeing -- and had to be reminded, as I'm nowhere near as steeped in Trane, as I am some others.)

Have to confess, "Selflessness" is not an album (or album cover design, even), that I'm all that familiar with.  Maybe I've seen a copy a gazillion years ago, but I've no memory of it.

QUESTION:  I'm seeing there was a Japanese-only issue of "Selflessless" (the whole album) back in 1994.  But is that the only time any of its three (3) tracks have been issued on CD?

All three cuts came out on other CD's

Image result for john coltrane newport

Image result for john coltrane major works

7 minutes ago, felser said:

All three cuts came out on other CD's

Aha.  I'm at least familiar with those covers.  Never got bitten hard by the Coltrane bug.  I've got and had a good smattering of his stuff, but there's way more I've never heard, than that I have (even among the major labor stuff).  And I'm the least familiar with every last nook and cranny of his Impulse output, I'll confess.

13 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Aha.  I'm at least familiar with those covers.  Never got bitten hard by the Coltrane bug.  I've got and had a good smattering of his stuff, but there's way more I've never heard, than that I have (even among the major labor stuff).  And I'm the least familiar with every last nook and cranny of his Impulse output, I'll confess.

Don't miss that 1963 Newport "My Favorite Things", or the "Live at Birdland" album from later that year.   McCoy Tyner was on fire during that stretch.

From CDJapan

Tracklisting

DISC 1

VILIA (TAKE 3) 
ヴィリア (Take 3) 
VILIA (TAKE 5) 
ヴィリア (Take 5) 
UNTITLED ORIGINAL 11383 (TAKE 1) 
アンタイトルド・オリジナル11383 (Take 1) 
NATURE BOY 
ネイチャー・ボーイ 
IMPRESSIONS (TAKE 1) 
インプレッションズ (Take 1) 
IMPRESSIONS (TAKE 2) 
インプレッションズ (Take 2) 
IMPRESSIONS (TAKE 3) 
インプレッションズ (Take 3) 
IMPRESSIONS (TAKE 4) 
インプレッションズ (Take 4) 
UNTITLED ORIGINAL 11386 (TAKE 1) 
アンタイトルド・オリジナル11386 (Take 1) 
UNTITLED ORIGINAL 11386 (TAKE 2) 
アンタイトルド・オリジナル11386 (Take 2) 
UNTITLED ORIGINAL 11386 (TAKE 5) 
アンタイトルド・オリジナル11386 (Take 5) 
ONE UP. ONE DOWN (TAKE 1) 
ワン・アップ、ワン・ダウン (Take 1) 
ONE UP. ONE DOWN (TAKE 6) 
ワン・アップ、ワン・ダウン (Take 6) 

DISC 2

SLOW BLUES 
スロー・ブルース 
THEY SAY IT'S WONDERFUL 
ゼイ・セイ・イッツ・ワンダフル 
LUSH LIFE / Johnny Hartman
ラッシュ・ライフ / ジョニー・ハートマン
MY ONE AND ONLY LOVE / Johnny Hartman
マイ・ワン・アンド・オンリー・ラヴ / ジョニー・ハートマン
AUTUMN SERENADE / Johnny Hartman
オータム・セレナーデ / ジョニー・ハートマン
DEDICATED TO YOU / Johnny Hartman
デディケイテッド・トゥ・ユー / ジョニー・ハートマン
YOU ARE TOO BEAUTIFUL / Johnny Hartman
ユー・アー・トゥー・ビューティフル / ジョニー・ハートマン
AFTER THE RAIN 
アフター・ザ・レイン 
DEAR OLD STOCKHOLM 
Dear Old Stockholm 
I WANT TO TALK ABOUT YOU (LIVE AT THE NEWPORT JAZZ FESTIVAL. NEWPORT. RI. 7/7/1963) 
I Want To Talk About You (Live At The Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI, 7/7/1963) 

DISC 3

MY FAVORITE THINGS (LIVE AT THE NEWPORT JAZZ FESTIVAL. NEWPORT. RI. 7/7/1963) 
マイ・フェイヴァリット・シングス (Live At The Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI, 7/7/1963) 
IMPRESSIONS (LIVE AT THE NEWPORT JAZZ FESTIVAL. NEWPORT. RI. 7/7/1963) 
Impressions (Live At The Newport Jazz Festival, Newport, RI, 7/7/1963) 
THE PROMISE (LIVE AT BIRDLAND JAZZCLUB. NEW YORK CITY. NY. 10/8/1963) 
ザ・プロミス (Live At Birdland Jazzclub, New York City, NY, 10/8/1963) 
I WANT TO TALK ABOUT YOU (LIVE AT BIRDLAND JAZZCLUB. NEW YORK CITY. NY. 10/8/1963) 
アイ・ウォント・トゥ・トーク・アバウト・ユー (Live At Birdland Jazzclub, New York City, NY, 10/8/1963) 
AFRO-BLUE (LIVE AT BIRDLAND JAZZCLUB. NEW YORK CITY. NY. 10/8/1963) 
アフロ・ブルー (Live At Birdland Jazzclub, New York City, NY, 10/8/1963) 
YOUR LADY 
ユア・レイディ 
ALABAMA 
アラバマ 

Also available as a 5 LP set.

Edited by jazzbo

So interestingly this includes the entire(?) previously unreleased Both Directions session(s?), incl. all(?) the alternates - ?

On mobile, or I'd check for myself, but I think I'm seeing the entire thing, and presumably in session order too.

Would not have expected to see a reconfigured release of the entire thing like that, quite so quickly.

(Sure. repurposing a handful of tracks from Both Directions would not have been at all unexpected (as in some new single or double-disc came 'best of' compilation. But this isn't that, that I can see.)

• 6 months later...

Even though I own 35-40 Coltrane albums (counting albums in Fearless Leader, Interplay, Side Steps, HW Champ, and the Complete Quartet Impulse Studio box), this actually filled a huge gap for me. I did not buy Both Directions when it came out, I have never owned the Hartman album in any form or any of the Newport '63 material. Had a digital download of Birdland. This was a no brainer, and I am really enjoying it.

13 minutes ago, LouisvillePrez said:

Even though I own 35-40 Coltrane albums (counting albums in Fearless Leader, Interplay, Side Steps, HW Champ, and the Complete Quartet Impulse Studio box), this actually filled a huge gap for me. I did not buy Both Directions when it came out, I have never owned the Hartman album in any form or any of the Newport '63 material. Had a digital download of Birdland. This was a no brainer, and I am really enjoying it.

That is huge gap if you didn't have the '63 Newport "My Favorite Things", a landmark solo for sure.  Glad you got it rectified.

9 hours ago, felser said:

Still worth getting for the stormy Newport 65 material.

Without a doubt. I misinterpreted the word ‘rectify’. I thought BFrank said he did not have the Newport ‘63 record but did have the My Favorite Things at Newport release.... English is not my first language 😵

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Without a doubt. I misinterpreted the word ‘rectify’. I thought BFrank said he did not have the Newport ‘63 record but did have the My Favorite Things at Newport release.... English is not my first language 😵

What I meant was, I think I have pretty much everything from the "1963 New Directions" set except the Newport stuff. So I looked up the Impulse album (which also includes 1965) and it was only about $10, so I ordered it ASAP! :g

There is still a substantial amount of unissued Trane on Impulse, including a session reel of the Hartman session. I read an article about 10 years ago about a radio broadcast of unissued material. How much longer are they going to make us wait to hear this?

Yes according  to jazzdisco.org there is quite a lot of unissued studio material too. Unfortunately people do not feel the moral obligation to share this music with the world. Unfortunate cause who benefits if it’s on some dusty shelf somewhere. I do not believe that was Trane’s intention anyway.

9 hours ago, BFrank said:

What I meant was, I think I have pretty much everything from the "1963 New Directions" set except the Newport stuff. So I looked up the Impulse album (which also includes 1965) and it was only about $10, so I ordered it ASAP! :g

Enjoy! It’s a killer! (Both sessions are, but the 65 is from outer space:D)

2 hours ago, Pim said:

Unfortunately people do not feel the moral obligation to share this music with the world. Unfortunate cause who benefits if it’s on some dusty shelf somewhere.

Old people seem to prefer to take it with them rather than keep the fire burning ...

Well, *some* old peopleat least.

Some old folks live on a hill, too.