December 5 Japanese reissues from Universal-related labels

mjzee

Well, obiously Kirk's "Rip, Rig and Panic". His "Beautiful Edith" is quite wonderful, too.

And Blakey's "Buttercorn Lady" is pretty strong, so is "Soul Fingers" ... and I guess "'S Make It" as well, probably, but I kinda hoped for some extended John Gilmore solos, which you don't really get, it'a confectioned Limelight production.

The Golson and Jazztet material is strong - "Free" and "Plays John Lewis" would be my top favourites, but anything they did on Argo ...

The Sims/Cohn are both strong, "Al & Zoot" possibly my favourite album of theirs.

The Costa "Guys and Dolls" is very good as well.

The Gryce is nice.

So are the Herb Ellis and Mulligan CJB

And Johnny Griffin "Night Lady", is mighty good, too!

Speaking Europe, the Vander is nice (not essential I guess), and the Tubby Hayes is friggin' great!

Might go for some of the Stitts (the one with Sims I've got in a previous Japanese edition, it's fun), the Bley, the Williamson, the John Young, the MJT Daddy'O, the Pim Jacobs  ... or not, don't really know yet.

3 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

I thought the Griff Night Lady was pretty hard to find in the past.

There was this edition, in a series that was mostly compilations, but eventually they did some full reissues (a Don Ellis, the Griffin, a pair of Freddie Hubbard albums, some European stuff by Ingfried Hoffmann:

512T7hgPEwL.jpg

There's no duds in here. If you like the artist, you'll like their stuff here.

Myself, I would put in a plug for Ramsey Lewis's Mother Nature's Son. It's a cover of White Album songs arranged and produced by Charles Stepney, who also provided some nifty electronic music interludes between cuts. It's not "jazz", and it's definitely not the old-school hand-clapping In Crowd sound, nor is it the later, more produced Columbia ear bag. It is what it is, and I like what it is. YMMV.

And the Gryce thing, might be easy to overlook that one, but don't!

Otherwise, these are all known quantitates to one degree or another. Nothing sucks!

17 minutes ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

How is Benny Golson's "Turning Point" and has that material been issued elsewhere?

Turning Point is on the Golson/Farmer/Jazztet Mosaic.  Benny Golson with Miles's rhythm section (Kelly/Chambers/Cobb)?  C'mon.

5 minutes ago, JSngry said:

There's no duds in here. If you like the artist, you'll like their stuff here.

Myself, I would put in a plug for Ramsey Lewis's Mother Nature's Son. It's a cover of White Album songs arranged and produced by Charles Stepney, who also provided some nifty electronic music interludes between cuts. It's not "jazz", and it's definitely not the old-school hand-clapping In Crowd sound, nor is it the later, more produced Columbia ear bag. It is what it is, and I like what it is. YMMV.

And the Gryce thing, might be easy to overlook that one, but don't!

Otherwise, these are all known quantitates to one degree or another. Nothing sucks!

Serious question - is that true of the Blakey/Messengers "Hold On/ I'm Coming" album?  I've never heard that one, always stayed away because it was 11 cuts, 9 of them "hits of the day" 2 or 3 minutes long.

11 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I'll second the plug for Mother Nature's Son.  I just used "Back In The USSR" from that for a Night Lights 1968 show, and also tapped "Dear Prudence" for an introductory music bed.  My copy is a CD-R that I made off the station's old vinyl version, so I might have to nab this reissue as well.  

6 minutes ago, felser said:

Serious question - is that true of the Blakey/Messengers "Hold On/ I'm Coming" album?  I've never heard that one, always stayed away because it was 11 cuts, 9 of them "hits of the day" 2 or 3 minutes long.

That Blakey record is not his best by a long shot. But it doesn't suck. It wouldn't be the first Blakey album I ever reach for, but it would certainly not be the last.

It's one of those "it is what it is" thing, and if you don't like what that "is" is, then stay away. But other than that, it's fun enough, and the playing is, as always, top-shelf.

Night Lady has been out before in a low price Japanese edition; I bought one for my dad from Dusty Groove years ago. Great album.

I can't say that I've ever seen that MJT+3 on CD before; have an original pressing as well as a Japanese Cadet LP in the racks. The original is torched but does have what I presume to be real signatures from Richard Abrams, Booker Little, and George Coleman...

After revisiting the Blakey Hold On album, it may well be the worst Blakey album ever. But I still like it better than most of the e very last ones, which are bettwe music, but with less of a story. I mean, shit, Grant Green & Frank Mitchell on a John Sebastian song? People need to know that somebody thought this was a good idea, for whatever reasons. Don't think it can't happen here.

they should have left pop music to the pop players:

What's the story there?

8 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

I can't say that I've ever seen that MJT+3 on CD before; have an original pressing as well as a Japanese Cadet LP in the racks. The original is torched but does have what I presume to be real signatures from Richard Abrams, Booker Little, and George Coleman...

Only on Fresh Sound I think -- or is that another one (you mention Little and Coleman, but the one I have in mind has Paul Serrano and Bunky Green)?

3 hours ago, Niko said:

this one has Serrano and Nicky Hill, it's the second album on the Serrano Freshsound twofer (the other, Serrano's Blues Holiday, has Bunky Green)... discogs also shows previous Japanese issues...

Ah, ok ... so red and blue, but same album title? Uhm, ok ... ate too much lunch to think (read) straight, sorry - so same album but mixed up sax players in my post, right?

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

they should have left pop music to the pop players:

What's the story there?

The story? Funds needed to buy more hi-fi gear and sports cars?

There's plenty of weird pop albums on World Pacific, some by Chet Baker and Joe Pass as well, at least ... not sure there's any one album amongst those that the world needs (or needed, but then I wasn't around ...)

R-3154537-1318260497.jpeg.jpg

I guess it's

R-437596-1380303090-8459.jpeg.jpg

Edited by king ubu

7 hours ago, king ubu said:

Only on Fresh Sound I think -- or is that another one (you mention Little and Coleman, but the one I have in mind has Paul Serrano and Bunky Green)?

ah, I was just saying that they signed my MJT+3 on Argo, although two of them are not actually on the record. They were certainly playing with Perkins and Cranshaw's unit.

10 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

ah, I was just saying that they signed my MJT+3 on Argo, although two of them are not actually on the record. They were certainly playing with Perkins and Cranshaw's unit.

Oh, okay ... I was wondering why they'd sign it (or if you knew of a super rare rekkid where they were actually playing ;) )