Multi-region Blu-Ray players?

ghost of miles

I recently purchased a box-set of British films on Blu-Ray that are not available in a region 1 format and am looking to buy a multi-region Blu-Ray/DVD player.  Anybody here have any recommendations?  I'm eyeballing this Sony model, though it's apparently not, in its elemental form, a multi-region player--for a $40 "upgrade" you get multi-region capability.  (Does the seller go in and hack it to make it multi-region?  I'm less than knowledgeable about how such things work.)

Mods, feel free to move this to non-music miscellaneous if that seems like a more appropriate forum, since this topic doesn't really deal with audio issues.  

The British film box-set, by the way, looks to be a beaut, and comes with a nice booklet of essays, as well as tons of extras on the discs themselves:

Woodfall:  A Revolution in British Cinema

I bought this Sony All-region DVD/Blu-Ray player about 6 months ago. According to the seller a change is made to an internal circuit board that allows all-region capability. Software hacking is not involved. I am extremely happy with the unit- it will play any DVD or Blu-Ray no matter what the country code. Be sure to select the $40 option.

The region-free hack for Blu-ray players is a hardware hack which is usually easily reversible (typically a dongle that plugs into the main circuit board inside the player). Unlike DVD players, Blu-ray players can't be region-unlocked with just a firmware upgrade, which is why a hardware dongle of some sort is required. I'd assume the sellers of region-free players are the ones installing the mods. I've never bought a player from 220 Electronics, but they are pretty well-known and reputable among those with multiregion needs. 

I've had my eye on that Woodfall box set for some time. The BFI's releases are usually excellent and feature-packed.