Similar to the Dial and Savoy sets...

mjzee

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Morganized said:

Yes...... Capture the moment and break the bank!!  :lol:

Just a joke!!   I would love it. Don't know that I could afford it but I WOULD love it. I really enjoy hearing the progression of the music. Which artist was actually leading the charge can often surprise you.

Hope someone follows through with your idea.

I'd be interested in a set that didn't include all the stuff that's been regularly reissued in some form or fashion since the late 1960s. There's more there than you might think, but how much, I don't know. Pretty sure that OJC has done most of it in some form or fashion, although a lot of it saw pretty limited release.

https://www.jazzdisco.org/prestige-records/catalog-78-rpm-new-jazz-800-prestige-900-par-presentation-1300-new-jazz-1400-80-series/

https://www.jazzdisco.org/prestige-records/catalog-78-rpm-300-700-800-900-series/

I for one didn't even know about this until jsut now:

MI0000586036.jpg

11 hours ago, JSngry said:

Jokin'? I bought this new in the shop more than 20 years ago. along with a couple of other LPs done in the same style. Wasn't this distributed in the US?
To me it was a must-buy for the very reason that it went back into the early 50s 10-inch era that was NOT what the USUAL Prestige reissues usually covered (i.e. excepting Wardell Gray and George Wallington et al., they usually amounted to all the hard boppers and their discographical roots - and ONWARDS, but not back, from there on).

I'd welcome a more comprehensive reissue of the EARLY Prestiges too.

The one below was a step in the right direction but was only a start, of course:

https://www.discogs.com/de/Various-First-Sessions-194950/release/9156228

There ARE a few rarities and obscurities in the Prestige 78 and 10-inch discography but of course it would required close searches to see which in fact has not been available in an at least passably accessible maner elsewhere. Even most of the Joe Holiday recordings are around by now.

And the reissuers would have to decide where to draw the line.  No doubt the leased recordings (e.g. from Metronome) which made up a sizable portion of their 10-inchers would be out, I guess.

24 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Somewhere recently, there was a mention/presentation of a Charlie Ferguson 78 that's just out there, not collated anywhere. How much more of THAT type stuff is to be had, one-off-ish singles that went out for a walk and never returned?

If the discography in the (Japanese) "Prestige Book" (Jazz Critique 1996 No. 3) is anything to go by, then there are not really a huge number, but quite a few anyway (a couple dozen) in the singles series released by Prestige. The record listing (in numerical order) seems to list the line-up and recording dates for those 78s only that apparently had not been reissued in other forms later on by Prestige. Not quite correct, though - the Gene Ammons tracks had been riessued on the "The 78 era" twofer.

And a couple of the others have been reissued on other labels since. The two Ralph Willis tracks (from Prestige 919 - 2nd series) are on Document DOCD-5257, Rudy Ferguson's "Cool Goofin'" (Prestige 798) is on the "It's Jamaica Jump Blues Time" compilation (Fantastic Voyage FVTD214). And the Zoot Sims session from Jan. 23,1953 was included on Blue Moon (yes, Fresh Sound :D) BMCD-1040.
And so on, probably, if one checked closer ...

Plus, some of them fall into the jump blues/vocal group category and might be sneered at by some jazz purists.

I was saying "some", not "you.". ;) I agree that these and other acts are the flesh on the "major-name" and "big-star" bones of music from that period.

Lem Davis is a relatively famliar name from other reissues but his Prestige sides seem to have been overlooked constantly. Considering the common denominator in the line-ups of these and other rare sessions, maybe someone might want to do a "Complete Teacho Wiltshire on Prestige" reissue for a starter? ;)

32 minutes ago, JSngry said:

And on a tangent, does Concord now own the Mercer Records catalog? I know that Fantasy did, did it come over in the sale?

Seems like that's been a horribly overlooked label except for the Ellington/Strayhorn area.

Are you sure about Fantasy owning it?  IIRC some Ellington experts once told me that Mercer himself had left them to Danish Radio with the "stockpile". 

(I could certainly be wrong about all this-- I can't find my correspondence re: Mercer Records.) 

All I'm sure about is the Ellington/Strayhorn duets, which iirc, first re-entered circulation on Riverside. But I'm thinking that maybe some more items in that vein maybe came out? Or not?

I remember when MG included a Mercer Records version of Azure byt Wild Bill Davis on one of his BFTs. I never knew about that one, then got to looking and found that there were a LOT of them I didn't know about.

Let's thrown in another label - Dee-Gee. That would also be nice to have collated.

And calling all programmers, there's a theme for a show, Before Strata-East, Musician-Owned Labels. Mercer, Dee-Gee, Debut, what's the West Coast one...Nocturne. Hey, you got a show right there!

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Ok, what to make of this? Would this be the same Prestige?

R-6995950-1431281965-3875.jpeg.jpg

4 hours ago, medjuck said:

What the...?  Here's a discography of Mercer Records and this one is not included : http://www.globaldogproductions.info/m/mercer.html .  I did ask someone more knowledgeable than me and they replied  "I think it is Universal Music.  "

Edited by medjuck

39 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Also not on that list (which seems to imply a connection at some point with some kind of Prestige::

.R-10972772-1524428085-8153.jpeg.jpg

R-7411011-1440946135-1371.jpeg.jpg

And here's one that's sorta-kinda listed, but I've never heard it anywhere, at least not knowingly...

R-12462933-1535786098-3980.jpeg.jpg

Somebody help!

The Hodges is  from a 1947 date for Vogue. Maybe Mercer got the US rights at some point.  The New Piano Roll Blues is from a Mercer date Sept 21, 1950.  It's on Chronogical Classics 1191.  If I can figure out how to do it I'll post it here somehow.  (I have no idea how.)  Why is the Serge Chaloff record here? 

Both it and the Hodges say "mercer records, n.y." on the Vogue label

The Chaloff is paired on a Vouge LP with an Oscar Pettiford date that does show up on the Mercer discography:

R-7411011-1440946127-4826.jpeg.jpg

Here's a 78 on Futurama that shows Leonard Feather & Oscar Pettiford as being there:

Serge_chaloff_and_the_herdmen_Bopscotch.

and here's that same date on Prestige, years later:

complicated, much? Sure seems like it...

Based on a couple of the above photos, Prestige was a distributor for Mercer but a distributorship doesn't necessarily mean ownership. 

Based on what I’ve been able to find it was a short lived label (about two years, 1950-1952) with a small output. 

Edited by Brad