NYC Winter Jazzfest 2019

kh1958

• 2 weeks later...

My thumbnail review of the weekend (also posted in the "What Live Music ..." thread)

Saturday:
- Michael Formanek’s Very Practical Trio w/Tim Berne and Mary Halvorson. Enjoyable combination of musicians. I've seen her with Formanek, but not Berne before. It worked.
- Maria Grand DiaTribe w/Faye Victor. Nothing notable about the band, but Faye was outstanding. At Bar Zinc - terrible venue for a festival. Long narrow space with front half table seating only w/one drink minimum. Back half is the bar, but unless you're AT the front of the bar it was very difficult to see the stage. Overall difficult if you're venue hopping.
- Ralph Alessi and "This Against That" w/Ravi Coltrane, Drew Gress, Andy Milne, Mark Ferber. Very good sextet performance. Ravi is getting stronger all the time. Surprisingly light attendance for this show.
- Ben LaMar Gay. Nice sounding neo-jazz with a groove and vocals. At Nublu in the E. Village - a LONG walk from Bleeker St.
- Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society + Hamid Drake. Again ... nice sounding groove, but I left after a half hour of noodling.

Sunday:
- Pocket Science with Gary Bartz, Kahil El Zabar, Jamaladeen Tacuma, Robert Irving III. Excellent set especially since I've never seen Tacuma or Zabar before. Nice auditorium, but for some reason they had the band near the back wall of the stage instead of up front.
- Dave Liebman, Adam Rudolph & Hamid Drake. Three sets in a row at Subculture, like kh. Interesting trio and pretty abstract. 
- Allison Miller and Carmen Staaf ‘Science Fair’ w/Dayna Stephens, Jason Palmer, Matt Penman. The discovery of the weekend for me. I wasn't familiar with Miller, and her drumming is outstanding. Staaf is a force to be reckoned with, too.
- JD Allen Encounters David Murray. Very intense and a good way to close the festival for me. Allen has a solid Rollins/Coltrane presence and of course Murray takes his Ayler blowing to the max. They played off each other very well.

Looking forward to NEXT year!

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, BFrank said:

I'm ready!

I'm definitely addicted to music festivals--I went to five last year. All had their own distinct charms and drawbacks. Next up, the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (for the seventh time, the sixth year in a row).

Edited by kh1958

3 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I'm definitely addicted to music festivals--I went to five last year. All had their own distinct charms and drawbacks. Next up, the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (for the seventh time, the sixth year in a row).

Cool!

I went to the NO Jazzfest a couple of times in the late 80s. Lotsa fun, for sure. It's too big for me now, and I don't like outdoor music festivals anymore. I went to SXSW for ten years which was great and I like their model of shows in multiple venues in an urban setting. Much more intimate. Even with that, SXSW got too big and I now to go the Big Ears Fest in Knoxville and planning on another year of the NYC WJF.

I actually like NOJHF the best. I rarely go to the big outdoor stages, mostly sticking to the seated/tented jazz and blues stages.

What I like is the juxtaposition of different genres of music that I listen to (jazz, blues, African, other World music) and the combination of the high level of local talent with national/international talent. (This year there are 688 musical acts booked; 600 of them are from Louisiana.) Where else can I listen to a set of Mississippi Hill Country blues by Cedric Burnside, then take a short walk and see Lee Konitz (which happened a couple of years ago)? And whereas I used to think traditional New Orleans jazz was not worth bothering with after the early 1960s, I now know that is completely wrong. 

And the food is great.

12 hours ago, kh1958 said:

I actually like NOJHF the best. I rarely go to the big outdoor stages, mostly sticking to the seated/tented jazz and blues stages.

What I like is the juxtaposition of different genres of music that I listen to (jazz, blues, African, other World music) and the combination of the high level of local talent with national/international talent. (This year there are 688 musical acts booked; 600 of them are from Louisiana.) Where else can I listen to a set of Mississippi Hill Country blues by Cedric Burnside, then take a short walk and see Lee Konitz (which happened a couple of years ago)? And whereas I used to think traditional New Orleans jazz was not worth bothering with after the early 1960s, I now know that is completely wrong. 

And the food is great.

I would never diss NO, that's for sure.

As for the juxtaposition of different genres, JazzFest is certainly that, but I think Big Ears beats it.

Big Ears certainly wins in the avant garde side of jazz (though Kidd Jordan can put up a pretty good fight). I would note that Big Ears substantially increased the jazz content last year and carried that over to the current year. It's not a given this will continue.

13 hours ago, kh1958 said:

Big Ears certainly wins in the avant garde side of jazz (though Kidd Jordan can put up a pretty good fight). I would note that Big Ears substantially increased the jazz content last year and carried that over to the current year. It's not a given this will continue.

I remember seeing Kidd Jordan at the NOJF and he was great!

• 6 months later...

Impressive initial lineup announcement for 2020.

ART BLAKEY CENTENNIAL

BECCA STEVENS

BEN WILLIAMS “I AM A MAN”

BLACK’S MYTHS

BRANDEE YOUNGER

BRIGHT DOG RED

CHRIS LIGHTCAP’S SUPERBIGMOUTH

CONNIE HAN TRIO

DAEDELUS

DONNY MCCASLIN GROUP

EUBANKS EVANS EXPERIENCE

FROM DETROIT TO THE WORLD - CELEBRATING THE JAZZ LEGACY OF DETROIT AND MARCUS BELGRAVE

GEORGE BURTON BAND

GILLES PETERSON

GODWIN LOUIS

GOLDEN VALLEY IS NOW

GREGOIRE MARET AND ROMAIN COLLIN’S “AMERICANA” W/ MARVIN SEWELL

HALVORSON & DIETERICH

HARISH RAGHAVAN ‘CALLS FOR ACTION’

HEROES ARE GANG LEADERS’ FEATURING JAMES BRANDON LEWIS 

HYPNOTIC BRASS BAND

IKEBE SHAKEDOWN

ISSAC DELGADO

JAMIE BAUM & SHORT STORIES “OF STRUGGLES AND TRIUMPHS” 

JESSICA JONES QUARTET

JESSICA PAVONE QUARTET

JOE RUSSO

JOEY ALEXANDER

JOSÉ JAMES “NO BEGINNING NO END 2”

KALIA VANDEVER

KASSA OVERALL

KAT EDMONSON

KNEEBODY + MARK GUILIANA

KOKOROKO

L’RAIN

LAKECIA BENJAMIN’S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT

LOUIS HAYES

MAE.SUN

MAKAYA MCCRAVEN

MARK GUILIANA (ARTIST IN RESIDENCE)

MARQUIS HILL: NEW GOSPEL REVISITED

MARY LATTIMORE

MATTHEW WHITAKER

MICHAEL OLATUJA’S “LAGOS PEPPER SOUP”

MOSES BOYD

NATE WOOLEY’S COLUMBIA ICEFIELD

NIKARA AND BLACK WALL STREET 

NIR FELDER TRIO

NITE BJUTI FEAT. VAL JEANTY, CANDICE HOYES AND MIMI JONES

PASQUALE GRASSO

PEOPLE’S CHAMPS

POPPY AJUDHA

QUIANA LYNELL

RENE MARIE

REVIVE BIG BAND

RON CARTER

SALAMI ROSE JOE LOUIS

SAMANTHA BOSHNACK’S SEISMIC BELT

SARATHY KORWAR

SASHA BERLINER

SEU JORGE

SHEILA JORDAN 

SHIGETO LIVE ENSEMBLE

STEVE LEHMAN TRIO FEATURING CRAIG TABORN

STEVEN BERNSTEIN’S MTO@20 

SUNNY JAIN WILD WILD EAST

SUSAN ALCORN QUINTET

THE BOGIE BAND FEATURING JOE RUSSO

THE COOKERS

THE JAZZ GALLERY ALLSTARS

THEO BLECKMANN’S MIXTAPE

THEO CROKER’S STAR PEOPLE NATION

TIM BERNE’S ABSINT W/ DAVID TORN AND AURORA NEALAND

TINEKE POSTMA FOUR

+

MANY MORE ARTISTS TBA

January 10, 11 & January 17 - 2020

NYC WINTER JAZZFEST MANHATTAN & BROOKLYN MARATHON MULTI-NIGHT PASSES

*** EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE NOW ***

<a href="https://venuepilot.co/events/29177/orders/new" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">< /a> Buy Tickets <a href="https://venuepilot.co/events/29177/orders/new" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">< /a>

NYC Winter Jazzfest’s signature two-night Manhattan marathon will take place Friday, January 10 and Saturday, January 11 with performances at the recently reopened marquee venue Webster Hall as well as Le Poisson Rouge, Mercury Lounge, Zinc Bar, Subculture, The Bitter End, NuBlu, The Dance, SOBs, and Nuyorican Poets Cafe. A week later, on Friday January 17, the festival will host its first-ever Brooklyn-based Marathon night in venues including Brooklyn Bowl, Music Hall of Williamsburg, Rough Trade, National Sawdust, Sultan Room, and House of Yes. Marathon passes allow entry to all participating venues from early in the evening though late at night. Nightly Marathon artist lineups to be announced soon.