Rendell Carr 5tet rides again

RogerF

This should arguably be in the Vinyl Frontier section, but Jazzman Records are reissuing for the first time(*) a five record box set of all five EMI Columbia Lansdowne Series Rendell Carr Quintet albums on vinyl. This box will be released in mid-November and includes an accompanying booklet. More info here: Jazzman Records

106_don_rendell_-_ian_carr.jpg

(*) first time for a legit, licensed vinyl reissue of these albums, although BGO released them as CDs under license several years ago.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be interesting to see if it improves on the BGO CD sound, which I found pretty damn good in itself.

Needless to say, I’m ‘in’ for yet another version of this stuff !  Could be the reissue of the year..

Jazzman need to put out a black/blue logo T shirt of that logo. I’ll buy 100..

Shame Ian isn’t around to see this reissue. I think he would have been chuffed.

Edited by sidewinder

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Check out the Hoffman board. There was a rumour of a shop in Soho, London with a box of 50 copies in store yesterday (reputedly) but these are probably now long gone.

Got mine from Jazzman direct. By the end of the first day on sale they had sold out from them - all seem to have had numbers in the 900s so probably Jazzman had no more than a hundred in total, with most of the rest scattered far and wide on pre-orders.

Altenatively - the studio master streaming sites (e.g. HDTracks) now seem to have FLAC studio masters of all 5 albums so that would be a good option for anyone with a good streamer. No doubt these were mastered at the same time as the LP set.

Edited by sidewinder

4 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Check out the Hoffman board. There was a rumour of a shop in Soho, London with a box of 50 copies in store yesterday but these are probably now long gone.

Got mine from Jazzman direct. By the end of the first day on sale they had sold out from them - all seem to have had numbers in the 900s so probably Jazzman had no more than a hundred in total, with most of the rest scattered far and wide on pre-orders.

Altenatively - the studio master streaming sites now seem to have FLAC studio masters of all 5 albums so that would be a good option for anyone with a good streamer.

Thanks. I checked all sources proposed at SH forum - all sold out...

I think there’s a reasonable chance of a second pressing/issue, thanks to the unprecedented demand for the first one (don’t quote me on that though). Hopefully 5,000 or so next time. Fingers crossed !

I did try phoning ‘Sounds of the Universe’ yesterday just on the offchance of a spare and they had their phone set to answer machine. Probably inundated with calls from across the planet. :lol:

Edited by sidewinder

5 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

I think there’s a reasonable chance of a second pressing/issue, thanks to the unprecedented demand for the first one. Hooefully 5,000 or so next time. Fingers crossed !

Unless, their license does not permit to press more? Like Mosaic sets.

5 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Did you try Sounds Of The Universe?

Also,apart from the collectable nature of this release can anyone (Sidewinder?) comment on the sound compared to the BGO remastering?

I did. Sold out there also (web store).

Edited by RiRiIII

Yes, it is possible that their licence was for limited number. No idea on the details though and I haven’t seen any comment from Jazzman Gerald to confirm either way.

Sound quality - pretty excellent, I have played all of the LPs through. The sound is a definite improvement on BGO in terms of fidelity/detail, probably helped a lot by the Abbey Road processes through to all analogue cutting. I’ll bet those studio masters sound fantastic and if I had a top notch streamer, I’d be very tempted with that option.

The box version of ‘Shades’ and ‘Dusk Fire’ are in stereo, whereas the Columbia originals were mono. One thing I did notice was some ‘ghost echo’ before tracks on the reissues. An outcome of the new cutting process, perhaps?

Edited by sidewinder

15 minutes ago, RiRiIII said:

Soho's "Sister Ray" response to my query: " hi there, we tried to get copies, but the set was oversubscribed at the distributor, so we couldn't get any, sorry "

Damn - beginning to think that that mythical box of 50 at ‘Sounds’ was an urban myth. Where the heck are copies 1-900? :wacko: (probably quite a few went to reviewers as I noticed that just about everyone at Jazzwise this month had it on their Reissue of the Year list, so there’s 10 at least ;)).

I think it was Clifford who mentioned that Dusty had a bundle but can’t have been many as they were gone within an hour or so. 

Edited by sidewinder

18 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Yes, it is possible that their licence was for limited number. No idea on the details though and I haven’t seen any comment from Jazzman Gerald to confirm either way.

Sound quality - pretty excellent, I have played all of the LPs through. The sound is a definite improvement on BGO in terms of fidelity/detail, probably helped a lot by the Abbey Road processes through to all analogue cutting. I’ll bet those studio masters sound fantastic and if I had a top notch streamer, I’d be very tempted with that option.

I’ve yet to A/B against original LPs. The box version of ‘Shades’ and ‘Dusk Fire’ are in stereo, whereas the Columbia originals were mono. One thing I did notice was some ‘ghost echo’ before tracks on the reissues, which I don’t recall on the originals. An outcome of the new cutting process, perhaps?

The BGOs are stereo also. Never issued as stereo originally? Interesting. So BGO also worked from the original stereo tapes. I do not have the booklets handy, but I wonder if the stereo tapes were also mixed originally.

The first 2 LPs were only issued at the time in mono - not unusual for UK early to mid 60s issues. ‘Phase III’ was the first to come out in stereo as well as mono. BGO also worked from original tapes but I’m not sure if it was the ‘originals’ or some other copy held by Universal. Jazzman seem to have had access to the originals (the booklet has photos of the tape boxes from the Lansdowne Studio).

Edited by sidewinder

3 hours ago, sidewinder said:

The first 2 LPs were only issued at the time in mono - not unusual for UK early to mid 60s issues. ‘Phase III’ was the first to come out in stereo as well as mono. BGO also worked from original tapes but I’m not sure if it was the ‘originals’ or some other copy held by Universal. Jazzman seem to have had access to the originals (the booklet has photos of the tape boxes from the Lansdowne Studio).

Stereo or mono pressings it d`nt bothers me I play all my stereo`s in mono ( stereo/mono transformer converter ):D

I`m still waiting on my delivery from Germany. ( jpc.de )

Although Dusty Groove has the sobriquet here as "Da Bastids" due to their ability to separate us from our hard-earned money, they've earned that title recently (from me) for the screwed up way they handle "orders".

I got Dusty's E-mail notice that this Rendell-Carr LP box was in stock on November 30th. I immediately went to the website, saw it listed as "In stock" and ordered it. The next morning, I got a notice that it was actually out of stock and that I'll be notified when it comes back in stock. Little did I know what that actually meant.

Today I went to check on my order and I see no order listed. Nothing. No order. No cancellation. Nothing. So I call. Their answer? Well, it turns out that when you order something and it's not in stock, they cancel your order and put you back on the "Notify me when it's available" E-mail list. WTF? Seriously, WTF!!! So now when it comes back in, I have to hope I'm online and that I click the "Buy" button before all of the other people on the "Notify me" list??

I ordered this set, therefore, I should not have to order it again. When it comes in again, I should get the first one in the door shipped to me immediately. You have my credit card info. You have my mailing address. You have my ORDER.

Seriously ticked off at these guys right now.