Rendell Carr 5tet rides again

RogerF

Yeah, luck only happens when you put yourself in a position to be lucky. After that, it's all....luck. But you called and you scored. Had you not called, you probably wouldn't have. I mean, did they call you?

I tend to be a "liberal", but the one thing I agree on with "conservatives" on 100% is that before you go complaining, do your damnedest to do for yourself. You called, you scored, be happy that you put yourself in that position, THEN credit luck. Any collector who's gotten a true collection (as opposed to an accumulation), knows this to be true. You find the mint Boppy Boogolitz LP 78 from 1929 in the farm implement store because you go into the farm implement store, not because the farm implement store came to you in a dream took over your magic car. At best, somebody told you that they were in this farm implement store and they had records or something that looked like records. Still, you had to get your ass into the damn place, THEN you got lucky.

Tell 'em 'bout it Hunta!

And really, you're set for life now, This set is no longer literally going for literally $1,000,000.00, literally right now (I guess they sold it already), but you can still turn that sucker over if you're short on long: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/12863758

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone commented on discogs page that a million pounds is ridiculous, why not a billion. The difference is a million is still obtainable amount, get a mortgage, sell your daughter to slavery, rob a bank. It boils down to how much you really want this Rendell Carr box. But an ordinary Joe can no way get a billion bucks. Just can't.

Some interesting comments on discogs that the reissue vinyl is DMM of the studio masters files Universal have made available. If that is the case (and I have no proof that it is) and nice as the box is - for anyone with a good streamer who didn’t get the box I would go direct to the studio masters and save yourself a packet !

12 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Some interesting comments on discogs that the reissue vinyl is DMM of the studio masters files Universal have made available. If that is the case (and I have no proof that it is) and nice as the box is - for anyone with a good streamer who didn’t get the box I would go direct to the studio masters and save yourself a packet !

As the facts would indicate (plus the actual booklet to the set), this is bollocks.

• 4 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, JSngry said:

find a sucker somebody who doesn't keep in the loop, sell the lps, buy the cds, #quandary/what quandary?

2 hours ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/person/700620128

Now I'm in a quandry... I would actually prefer these CDs to the LP box. Hmm...

Do yourself a favor, buy this version, typically great BGO mastering, and save yourself tons of $.  This will run you about $$15 for the two-CD set.

Shades Of Blue/Dusk Fire /  The Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet

51z4DK8qpvL.jpg

The BGO CDs are really excellent but with the Jazzman LPs I am hearing some additional fine details and nuances that the BGOs lack. Much of the music (for example ‘Phase III’) makes great use of texture, timbre and space, so this additional detail is valuable. The SHM-CDs and HD downloads therefore offer very attractive alternatives.

Considering that 15 years ago most of this stuff most of this music would have cost many hundreds of £ to acquire and listen to, these are times of great plenty for the Rendell/Carr catalogue. The one time I met Ian C. he seemed surprised and genuinely delighted that I not only had copies of but also really liked the Rendell/Carr releases. I think he would have been stunned with the current cornucopia situation.

Edited by sidewinder

On 1/12/2019 at 2:46 AM, sidewinder said:

The BGO CDs are really excellent but with the Jazzman LPs I am hearing some additional fine details and nuances that the BGOs lack. Much of the music (for example ‘Phase III’) makes great use of texture, timbre and space, so this additional detail is valuable. The SHM-CDs and HD downloads therefore offer very attractive alternatives.

normally I'm not one to split audiophile hairs, but I agree that these LPs are a major upgrade from the somewhat dull-sounding BGO CDs.

Totally agree with Sidewinder on the sound issue (vis a vis BGO).  I have had those BGOs for years and loved them but the set it another thing all together.  Glad to hear that individual releases will be available.  It will be interesting to see whether all of the people that clamored in the streets about the limited edition injustice will be purchasing the titles or if their lust faded once these will be (relatively) readily available.  The best news is that people that want this music will have access, which is a good thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...