Rendell Carr 5tet rides again

RogerF

I got the five SHM-CDs in from cd.japan and the two I have listened to sound EXCELLENT. Very nice printing on the LP facsimile covers, and my one quibble would be that the cover material could be denser and there not be tabs folded across the back.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Just buy all 5 albums separately, assuming that there will be another reissue pressing. Some of them are still available from the first reissue press.

Just two are still available. On discogs the set is more then 250 euros, Shade of blue, 50. the others 30, if you add shipping costs, still not a bargain at all, but "men will still say, This was his finest hour."

I ordered all of the Japanese reissues. Last night I did a blind listening test with the BGO titles using Shades of Blue and Dusk Fire. Three tunes off of each album. For all six I chose the BGO remaster over the newer issues. The BGOs seemed a little brighter, but I also thought that there was more presence and detail to them as well.

I'm not an audiophile by any stretch (an NAD amp and Yamaha CD player coming through new Polk Signature S60 speakers) although I do like for my music to sound good.

Has anyone else done a comparison and had a similar experience/outcome? I'm curious.

Interesting !

I’ve not compared CD with CD as I only have the BGO CDs (which I was pretty happy with) and the new remasters on vinyl. To my mind the new remasters have more clarity, precision and depth, although that may be attributable to my vinyl setup being far superior to the CD.

6 hours ago, GA Russell said:

I have just learned tonight that an old favorite of mine, organist John Mealing, played with Rendell-Carr.  

Can anyone recommend an album he is on with the group?

Don’t think Mealing ever recorded with the group - ‘If’ is probably the best way to hear him those years.

• 1 month later...

I have to confess I don't know any of the Don Rendell/Ian Carr Quintet albums (I guess there are 5 of them).  At $23+ a pop for the recent Japanese reissues, I'm not sure I want to dive in and get all 5 (not knowing any of them).  if I were going to get just 1 or 2, which one's should I target?

20+ years ago, I used to have a couple Ian Carr CD's of albums from the 70's (Nucleus stuff), but have no idea what ever happened to them.  I'm guessing I must have traded them (too much soprano sax maybe? - I can't remember).

In any case, I'm sure I've never heard a note of the Rendell-Carr quintet stuff in all these years.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Rooster - ‘Shades of Blue’ and ‘Dusk Fire’ are commonly thought of as the best of these Lansdownes but they are all excellent really and each has their particular strengths. ‘Change Is’ is a strong transitional album too, linking directly to the later work by Carr with Nucleus and Rendell on his ‘Space Walk’.

’Shades of Blue’ is a particularly charming album with an atmospheric vibe. ‘Dusk Fire’ has the added bonus of Garrick in on piano with some strong compositions and group interplay.

On 20/04/2019 at 5:40 PM, porcy62 said:

No way to buy the vinyl box set, unless you are the ex wife of Jeff Bezos :(

The separate vinyls are still pretty affordable. Get ‘em while they are hot. :D

20 hours ago, sidewinder said:

Rooster - ‘Shades of Blue’ and ‘Dusk Fire’ are commonly thought of as the best of these Lansdownes but they are all excellent really and each has their particular strengths. ‘Change Is’ is a strong transitional album too, linking directly to the later work by Carr with Nucleus and Rendell on his ‘Space Walk’.

’Shades of Blue’ is a particularly charming album with an atmospheric vibe. ‘Dusk Fire’ has the added bonus of Garrick in on piano with some strong compositions and group interplay.

The separate vinyls are still pretty affordable. Get ‘em while they are hot. :D

This is partially true, the medium price is around 24 €  if I could find a seller in EU with all of them I could spare shipping cost, otherwise a single LP with shipping raise at 30 €. or more.

I just saw that most of them are again available at Jazzmen site, thanks, I'll grab them now.

Done!

Edited by porcy62

• 5 months later...