Today's tenor players

Milestones

4 hours ago, John Tapscott said:

...and Alex Dean, quite possibly the best of them all. 

Well, maybe 'best'.  But then, Pat LaBarbera, Don Englert (both long-time Toronto refugees from Buddy Rich-land), and add John MacMurchy, and the late multi-talented doctor, psychiatrist and tenor-woman Kira Payne.  A real loss there...

20 hours ago, BillF said:

Re talented Canadian tenors I'd also mention Ralph Bowen and Phil Dwyer.

Absolutely.  I was just adding the Toronto guys I see and hear a lot.  Could add others, too...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

I ask myself -- you may ask -- why do I like Grant Stewart as much as I do...

I like his hair.

And he's got that Bill Perkins stonefacecrazyeyes thing going on.

Not saying that I go out of my way to listen to him, but don't tell him that...

_k8c3780-editar.jpg

Two more I would name are Lew Tabackin and Andy Sheppard.  They are not youngsters (especially Lew), but well worth listening to.  Tabackin seems to have been quiet for a long time, and I only know Sheppard's work through Carla Bley.

I had a stretch where I really liked Branford, but I have not been much interested in his work for quite some time now.

Edited by Milestones

50 minutes ago, Milestones said:

Two more I would name are Lew Tabackin and Andy Sheppard.  They are not youngsters (especially Lew), but well worth listening to.  Tabackin seems to have been quiet for a long time, and I only know Sheppard's work through Carla Bley.

I had a stretch where I really liked Branford, but I have not been much interested in his work for quite some time now.

Last albums of his I listened to were Braggtown and Four MFs Playin Tunes. Both of which were outstanding. 

6 hours ago, relyles said:

All of the SteepleChase dates [by Greg Tardy] are worth hearing IMO.

Thanks!  Tardy always struck me as quite a muscular player, who wasn't afraid to push a bit more/further than many -- though without pushing too far.  His playing didn't quite 'sing' for me a much as, say, Billy Harper's -- but generally it's in a somewhat similar region.  Almost all my regular 'favorite' players are super-informed by Joe Henderson, but Tardy always seemed a bit more Trane-influenced (to my ears, anyway) -- Atlantic-era Trane specifically.

Super nice, quiet guy - seemed very focused inward.  I've spoken with him briefly at about 3 gigs, and he seems super thankful to be pursuing (and able to pursue) his craft.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

37 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Now 74 years young .... but  really good reading his name here ....

I heard Pat playing mostly soprano (a guest appearance) in a big band setting last Thursday.  Sounded wonderful, as one would suspect.  He switched to tenor for a performance of his brother John's arrangement of a rare late '40s Ellington composition, "Fantazm".   I was later told Pat usually plays soprano on that...  Musicians!!! So unpredictable.!!!

Out of the younger guys I've heard. Sam Dillon, has went through the insane discipline, sideman credit accumulation, and whatever else it takes, to earn the admiration of Ray Drummond, Joe Chambers, Jimmy Heath and a lot of other people of that caliber who he works with.

He just released his first album, "Out in the Open", and from what I've heard of the previews, every note swings, the notes come popping out of his horn like Trane's did, and he wasn't afraid to include a jazz version of Hendrix's "Third Stone From the Sun" that doesn't pander to, uh, pander bears?

I've had the demoralizing experience of having to follow his soloing in a big band we played in, and the only excuse I can give is that I was working an exhausting day gig during that period, and on the one day I had off, I did earn a nod from him after my solo. I think he's in his late 20s, or early 30s.

Edited by sgcim

2 hours ago, sgcim said:

Out of the younger guys I've heard. Sam Dillon, has went through the insane discipline, sideman credit accumulation, and whatever else it takes, to earn the admiration of Ray Drummond, Joe Chambers, Jimmy Heath and a lot of other people of that caliber who he works with.

He just released his first album, "Out in the Open", and from what I've heard of the previews, every note swings, the notes come popping out of his horn like Trane's did, and he wasn't afraid to include a jazz version of Hendrix's "Third Stone From the Sun" that doesn't pander to, uh, pander bears?

I've had the demoralizing experience of having to follow his soloing in a big band we played in, and the only excuse I can give is that I was working an exhausting day gig during that period, and on the one day I had off, I did earn a nod from him after my solo. I think he's in his late 20s, or early 30s.

Some sample tracks from Dillon's album convinced me. Thanks.
Another really good young player (sorry for forgetting to mention him before) is Jason Rigby.

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

I continue to get a kick out of Jonas Kullhammar. Only 40, but attitude to spare!

51aZb%2BSUdtL.jpg

Hi JSngry!

So glad to hear you like my stuff!

I'm sorry I pissed some people off on the BNBB when trading cd's. I was young (about 20 years old), didn't have a lot of money, and was desperate to hear all the music I still hadn't found out about. But I do know I did a lot of trades with people that were happy about it :-)

I'm still buying a lot of records. The search continues.

All the best,

Jonas Kullhammar