Finally Getting to So Many Unplayed Jazz LPs

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a big high wall unit like that one for my LPs and Mosaics.

I don’t think there’s a room in my place (other than the loos) at the moment which hasn’t got shelving for them ! 

19 minutes ago, JSngry said:

who's the kid in the chair?

The Curator?

Edited by sidewinder

37 minutes ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

dawg, that is not you.......really???

It is indeed I, dawg.  I'll post my listening room later.  

And my Hank Mobley and Three Suns albums live together in perfect bliss. 

33 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Fantastic! A room for an exciting journey that never ends...

BTW, why is one section in the middle higher than the others?

It may be an optical delusion.  There is one empty cube next to the Esquivel head.  And the ceiling is sloped.  

EDIT:  Oh, I see what you mean.  That cube in the center.  That is where the RCA Stereo Action albums are filed.  They are taller, so I adjusted the center shelf. (Each shelving section fits LPs two high, with an adjustable center shelf.)

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Congratulations TTK!  And with the exception of a few small categories, I'm confident that I would enjoy them all, as much as I respect your taste.

Twenty years ago I decided that instead of the usual I would give up new music for Lent.  It turned out not to be a sacrifice at all, because I thoroughly enjoyed becoming re-acquainted with what I already had.  I recommended it.

56 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Twenty years ago I decided that instead of the usual I would give up new music for Lent.  It turned out not to be a sacrifice at all, because I thoroughly enjoyed becoming re-acquainted with what I already had.  I recommended it.

I gave up lending out my new LPs when I was a teenager....wait, maybe that's not what you meant.  

My LPs and CDs have languished for 32+ years now, unplayed, aside from ripping things (mostly the CDs) to my MP3 player when I get to the States.  I'm on the verge of a life change that will enable me to return to the U.S. for a significant part of the year and finally listen to many things not heard in decades.  It's intimidating - where to start? - but I'm looking forward to it.  If nothing else, I'll admit here, it will be a test of my attention span - a characteristic not reinforced by the past three decades of work.  

Heck, maybe I'll start posting here again more regularly; presumably I will have something/more to say.

12 hours ago, BeBop said:

I gave up lending out my new LPs when I was a teenager....wait, maybe that's not what you meant.  

My LPs and CDs have languished for 32+ years now, unplayed, aside from ripping things (mostly the CDs) to my MP3 player when I get to the States.  I'm on the verge of a life change that will enable me to return to the U.S. for a significant part of the year and finally listen to many things not heard in decades.  It's intimidating - where to start? - but I'm looking forward to it.  If nothing else, I'll admit here, it will be a test of my attention span - a characteristic not reinforced by the past three decades of work.  

Heck, maybe I'll start posting here again more regularly; presumably I will have something/more to say.

Have been assembling/collecting but non listening for over a decade as well (covering more or less the period our boy was @middle/high school and active in sports) .... subsequently started to (re)listening again and marveled about both items I either forgot owning or factory sealed .... with the huge gap inbetween, I could reasses and learned even more to appreciate different types of music (and classical music became increasingly an important factor) ....

Being retired doesn't guarantee that I will make significant progress in getting through unheard CDs and LPs on a daily basis. A recent solo drive to Jackson, Mississippi knocked out a fair amount, but I don't spend enough time in my dedicated music library, which is 10 by 30 feet, with 31 feet of floor to ceiling shelving spread over two side walls, prefab units in the center of the room that hold 9,000 CDs (plus DVDs and boxed sets on the top shelves), plus three pieces of furniture that my parents had that I use to store LPs and CDs. I have no idea as to the totals at this time, though I could probably measure using an estimate a friend gave, 3 inches holds around 5 CDs.

On 10/23/2018 at 10:01 PM, GA Russell said:

BeBop, where in the US do you plan to settle?

I was born and raised in Oakland.  I'd love to go back.  But the house that I sold in 1989 for $177,000 is now $1.9MM (sez Zillow).  I put the proceeds of the sale into traditional, retail investments (CDs, mutual funds...) but, well, they haven't kept up with local prices.  Living in the U.S. may not be viable at all.  I may go back to Panama or just stay here on the continent.  But, hey, I'm at least a transitory optimist!

Conicidentally, I met a guy from Raleigh last week on a flight from Freetown to Monrovia.  He was going to do some volunteer work.  One of few Americans I just "run into", so it was nice to chat.

Edited by BeBop

I'm amazed that people have heaps of albums they've never listened to. With very few exceptions (some of which were mistakes, like selling 3 LPs by the Wings over Jordan Choir after listening to a couple of tracks of one) I've always played everything I've bought pretty nearly as soon as I've got 'em. And I keep listening to 'em. There are a few hundred I play rarely, but they're not ones I'd think of ditching.

At present I have 6652 current albums (ie not fucked up, or held for discographical reasons or overtaken by events, such as the 2 ET Mensah compilations, which were overtaken by the Mensah box set). 86.59% of them are on my hard drive now, but I've still got the LPs, K7s or CDs from which I ripped them. But I don't actually listen to the originals much, as I prefer to hear music on the computer. I can HEAR it better. After fifty odd years of listening to Fat's Domino's 'The fat man', I never really heard the words until I played it on the computer.

MG

With me it is not a matter of never listening to them but of just postponing listening to new purchases (that were bought when the occasion presented itself and in the knowledge that they DID fit my tastes) when required up to the time I felt/feel in the mood for that particular style of music. When I am on a West Coast Jazz listening binge, for example, I know I won't really and fully appreciate listening to a newly bought Ernest Tubb LP. And vice versa in all directions of styles. ;) So it' s postponed. But every item's time will come.

Overall, just by sheer statistics I KNOW there are loads of records in my collection that I will probably never listen to again for the rest of my life. But I have no idea which ones they are (because listening moods and habits are not totally predictable into the long-term future) so they are keepers. (For the time being, anyway ... ) ;)  I'd guess this is the case with many collectors with larger collections out there.

Edited by Big Beat Steve

13 minutes ago, soulpope said:

You would wonder how many unread books some people carry :w....

Yes indeed. I can't see the point. I do like re-reading many of my books. I'm reading Eric Hobsbawm's series of books on world economic history since the French and Industrial Revolutions for the third or fourth time - and finding new stuff in them all the way through. When I finish, I've a book I bought in Paris last year - Peter Cooke's critical bio of Gustave Moreau - which I've yet to start because I wanted to get the Hobsbawm out of the way first.

MG

Just thought...

Almost invariably, I eat every scrap of food on my plate, except bones, pips and leftover gravy :)

Gotta have something to do with it.

MG