Finally Getting to So Many Unplayed Jazz LPs

6 minutes ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

Yes indeed. I can't see the point. I do like re-reading many of my books. I'm reading Eric Hobsbawm's series of books on world economic history since the French and Industrial Revolutions for the third or fourth time - and finding new stuff in them all the way through. When I finish, I've a book I bought in Paris last year - Peter Cooke's critical bio of Gustave Moreau - which I've yet to start because I wanted to get the Hobsbawm out of the way first.

MG

Buying now - for reading "later" (whenever this will be) .... although not primary focus of this strategy, a number of books became very in-demand after some time - same with music  ....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I'm amazed that people have heaps of albums they've never listened to...MG

If you lead a busy life, come home with a haul of 50 LPs for a buck a piece, all of which need to be cleaned, you may not get to half of them before you bring home the next haul of 50 buck-a-piece LPs.  For years, I rarely had time to listen to LPs during the week.  I would spin them on the weekends, and even some weekends were so busy that I couldn't play many.  So it makes perfect sense to someone in my situation. 

I should add that, for more than 20 years, I have been fortunate to have jobs that allow me to listen to music all day at my desk.  So between CDs and Pandora, I hear plenty of music between 9 and 5.  I don't need to hear an LP right away when I get home. 

Edited by Teasing the Korean

2 hours ago, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I'm reading Eric Hobsbawm's series of books on world economic history since the French and Industrial Revolutions for the third or fourth time - and finding new stuff in them all the way through.

Then go on and read "The Jazz Scene" too. Just to continue into the (musical) side of the matter. ;)

1 hour ago, Teasing the Korean said:

I should add that, for more than 20 years, I have been fortunate to have jobs that allow me to listen to music all day at my desk.  So between CDs and Pandora, I hear plenty of music between 9 and 5.

Me too (IT work), which keeps me sane at work and involved with the music.  Actually helps my work, as the music cuts out background conversations in the office, etc.  At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

I stop at Half Priced Books a couple of times a week, and Josey Records once a week usually; I only listen to LPs on the weekend (CDs during the week); this often results in finding more interesting LPs in a given week than I have time to listen to; couple that with persistence over a long period of time and it leads to a substantial backlog.

6 hours ago, soulpope said:

You would wonder how many unread books some people carry :w....

Indeed - I have lots of unread books, and I still hope to find the time someday to read them, but I have only a handful of unheard CDs, mostly bargains of deleted items that I wouldn't want to miss, with music I'm not in the mood for right now.

Last spring I moved the music room/library into a larger bedroom and forced myself to prune the book collection.  Got about $25 at Half price mostly for a hard back copy of 'Against the Day".  I don't want my wife to haul this stuff off after I'm gone so planning to take at least 25 more books out before the year's out.  I know I'll never read some and never ever re-read those I've read already.   Besides I need the room!!!!!

There comes a point when I question why I'm keeping something, particularly if it is a CD by an unfamiliar artist (with equally unfamiliar musicians) playing all originals, that has sat on a shelf unplayed for years. No offense to those who worked hard to write, produce and release a CD, but sometimes it helps to have a hook to get a writer to listen to it with a bit more urgency.

2 hours ago, Michael said:

Last spring I moved the music room/library into a larger bedroom and forced myself to prune the book collection.  Got about $25 at Half price mostly for a hard back copy of 'Against the Day".  I don't want my wife to haul this stuff off after I'm gone so planning to take at least 25 more books out before the year's out.  I know I'll never read some and never ever re-read those I've read already.   Besides I need the room!!!!!

As someone who's been downsizing for a year, you can never get rid of enough. I have about a thousand classical cds I just can't throw in the garbage. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather trash them than take a dollar per disc.

On 26.10.2018 at 1:31 PM, The Magnificent Goldberg said:

I'm reading Eric Hobsbawm's series of books on world economic history since the French and Industrial Revolutions ...

34204725sc.gif!

On 26.10.2018 at 4:27 PM, Big Beat Steve said:

Then go on and read "The Jazz Scene" too. Just to continue into the (musical) side of the matter. ;)

34204725sc.gif!

"Hobsbawm wrote about jazz for the New Statesman in the late 1950s and early 1960s under the pseudonym Francis Newton ..."  https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014/11/music-time-night-eric-hobsbawm-s-record-collection