Cleveland Orchestra fires concertmaster, one other for sexual misconduct

Mark Stryker

Suddenly, I feel as if I am Organissimo's Senior Sexual Misconduct Correspondent ...

Here is yesterday's Washington Post story about the Cleveland Orchestra firing concertmaster William Preucil and its principal trombonist for sexual misconduct and harassment. It was Post reporters Peggy McGlone and Anne Midgette who first reported in August allegations of misconduct by Preucil and others in the classical music world.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/cleveland-orchestra-terminates-two-musicians-after-sexual-harassment-charges/2018/10/24/4d213ca6-d7a1-11e8-a10f-b51546b10756_story.html?fbclid=IwAR2IblDP22d3s1RH7jEtZ2N5wl05pATEinSsNXKZ4ivJyU21shBUNyHl8i0&utm_term=.6dc3637e262a

And here is today's Detroit Free Press story about a new allegation/lawsuit brought against countertenor David Daniels by a University of Michigan student for alleged sexual assault. This is not the same charge that emerged a few months ago about an incident in Texas.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2018/10/24/david-daniels-opera-singer-sexual-assault/1752862002/?fbclid=IwAR2ogX7JCFKGvfHyYbY_kVsQ7oM_FljyslHpPhVokvG24Aeg7fNzseUeiLE 

Edited by Mark Stryker

13 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

Looks as though this was handled as professionally and thoroughly as it should have been. I get a little uneasy when people lose their jobs over nothing more than allegations. 

The orchestra did the right thing by hiring an outside law firm to investigate and then publishing the entire report -- complete transparency. (Though whether orchestra management had previously taken allegations that came from within its own ranks seriously enough -- before the Washington Post's story in August -- is a separate question.) 

Edited by Mark Stryker

the worst thing about this is how many years some of these guys got away with this stuff, all while other people knew what was going on; I know people who were employed by the Met who said for years the organizational rule was to never let the conductor alone in a room with young children.